EHIC Card issue refusal

We have today been refused an EHIC Card by CPAM, although we have lived here for 15 years, have Carte de Sejour etc. and have always received our cards via the ameli.fr web site. We tried to apply for the card as ours has run out and we are due to travel soon the web site constantly gave us an ‘Indisponsible’ message so we sent an enquiry and we received the following response

Vous êtes pensionné d’un pays de l’Union Européenne.

De ce fait, vous devez demander cette carte européenne d’assurance

maladie auprès de l’organisme de sécurité sociale du pays qui gère votre

dossier.

Je demeure cependant à votre service pour de plus amples renseignements.

roughly translated

You are a pensioner of a country of the European Union.

As a result, you must apply for this European Insurance Card

illness to the social security organization of the country that manages your

folder.

However, I remain at your service for more information.

We have paid into the CPAM service ourselves or via our S1 for over 15 years so we have asked them as to why we are being turned down now and so far have not got any further response from them!

Not sure if this is local, we are in the Lot, or if is the French denying the British their basic rights yet again?

It seems clear enough - they expect the UK to issue the card.

Oh… :frowning:

Welcome to post-Brexit reality.

2 Likes

No it’s nothing to do with the French denying people their rights. And nothing to do with Brexit. it has always been like this for S1 holders.

With an S1 it is the UK that provides your EHIC as it is them that pay for you. So you ask the overseas DWP team and they send it to you.

Did you get a French EHIC before you had your S1s perhaps?

Contact
Department for Work and Pensions
(Ministère du travail et des pensions)
Overseas Healthcare Team
Durham House
Washington, Tyne and Wear
NE38 7SF
United Kingdom
Tél : 00 44 191 218 1999
overseas.healthcare@dwp.gsi.gov.uk
www.gov.uk

7 Likes

Surely if you have an S1 then your EHIC comes from the UK not France. You need to ring the Overseas Health Team( sorry not sure of the number)

4 Likes

IIRC (an in the words of the MayBot) “nothing has changed”.
If you are in possession of an S1 from the UK (for example) the UK is responsible for issuing the EHIC although what will happen after Brexshit is anyone’s guess.

3 Likes

Totally correct - UK issues CEAM / EHIC cards for UK S1 holders.

3 Likes

As far as I am aware, if you are in receipt of a UK State Pension and have your health cover under a form S1 lodged with CPAM, then you have to apply to the NHS in the UK who are responsible for the issue of a EHIC card. It used to be the responsibility of the Department of Works and Pensions but I think this has now changed to the NHS but I may be wrong. Hope this is of help.

2 Likes

what “cards” are you talking about… that you have received in the past ??? Was one of them an EHIC ???

Whatever, as folk are saying… UK Pensioners with S1 get the EHIC from UK IMO

2 Likes

Except that we don’t know whether a UK EHIC will be worth the plastic it is made from after March 29.

3 Likes

Copied from the NHS website https://www.nhs.uk/using-the-nhs/healthcare-abroad/apply-for-a-free-ehic-european-health-insurance-card/

“If you live in another EEA country or Switzerland, you will be entitled to a UK-issued EHIC if one of the following applies to you:

• you receive a UK State Pension or exportable UK benefit and have a UK-issued S1 form (certificate of entitlement) registered in your country of residence
  • you are a worker posted to work in another EEA country or Switzerland by your UK employer, or a frontier worker living in the EEA and working in the UK
  • you are a family member of a posted worker or of someone working in the UK and you are not covered in your own right by the EEA country you reside in

You cannot apply online for a UK-issued EHIC . Instead, you’ll need to contact Overseas Healthcare Services at the NHS Business Services Authority. Call [0191 218 1999](tel:0191 218 1999) from the UK or [+44 191 218 1999](tel:+44 191 218 1999) from abroad, (Monday to Friday 8am to 6pm).”

However, I do agree that it may not be available after 29 March…who knows?

2 Likes

Paul… I’m trying to figure out why the OP thinks France would be providing the EHIC… ??? and am talking about current situation…

My guess is she was going what she had done previously, before they got an S1, and had not thought about the implications of now having an S1 changing the authority responsible for providing their EHIC/CEAM. Simple mistake…

1 Like

Yes, Jane… it could be as simple as that… :thinking: let’s hope so… :hugs:

No - it’s not as simple as that…

Bit agressive Susan! If you’ve been affiliated via a UK S1 for 15 (or however many) years then the UK has had responsibility for issuing your EHIC card during that period. The fact they haven’t has probably got more to do with you than anything to do with your local CPAM office. Or…it may be a simple admin error - hardly the ‘French’ denying the British their basic rights! Bad attitude :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

And…just to clear up on a point of order - you haven’t paid anything in to the CPAM service via your S1. Holding an S1 simply means your competent State has ultimate responsibility for your reimbursements and costs to your country of residence. Bit different.

2 Likes

Susan didn’t actually say how long she has been in receipt of an S1, just that she has lived in France for 15 years.

So what does that mean then ? (i.e. not clear how long she’s had an S1, I’ve edited my post)

I think it would be helpful if @Susan_Dawes could clarify her situation… past and present…

Somewhere along the line… I think there may well be a misunderstanding… :thinking:

1 Like

To clarify
2006 -2008 E106 EHIC issued here in France
2008-2017 Paid ourselves into CPAM EHIC issued here in France
2017 S1 obtained and EHIC issued here in France (after S1 obtained)
2019 asked for renewel - refused
Susan Dawes

1 Like

Yep - that’s all correct.

1 Like

Sounds to me as if Ameli have got their systems up to date… Susan.

2 Likes