EHIC card validity

Resident in France since 2005 I currently hold an EHIC card issued by the UK and valid until 2025.
Now planning a visit to the UK very shortly can I use this card there if necessary or do I need to apply
for one from CPAM. Things are confusing on this subject since Brexit and I would value input. Thanks

if you go to your Ameli page and sign in… there is a section on applying for the French health card.
ages ago… I had a go… and it came back, quickly, saying I was not elegible…
fair enough… I’m a UK pensioner in France with UKS1 health cover

However… I did update my UK issued EHIC after Brexit as this was advised by UK.
My current EHIC expires in 2025… no longer has the european circle of stars… and has CRA plus some numbers on the rhs…

Did you do this too ???

edit: CRA= citizen’s rights agreement to do with the Withdrawal Agreement

1 Like

If you hold an S1 in France, your treatment will be free.
The EHIC is not used for travel to UK.

3 Likes

And if you don’t hold and S1 and are in PUMA (french health system) then apply for a CEAM card.

I’m trying to identify if @sash is up-to-date with her UK issued EHIC :wink:

just as an aside…
the UK Govt site tells all of us Brits who live in France… and visit UK for the free health to which we are entitled…

we should NOT forget travel insurance and Repatriation cover especially…

Yes my EHIC card is up to date it shows expiry date as 2025

I made a call today to the UK and was told in the event of needing medical care during my stay my S1 would be sufficient to cover treatment.

That matches my understanding. Although I too have an appropriate EHIC card, it seems to be the S1 that they really want to see. Pity mine is almost unreadable, but there we are :smiley:

EDIT: I think the EHIC card is meant for travel to other EU countries rather than the UK

I’m glad you got through… so, do you have an S1 to wave at a medic if necessary???

(I don’t… CPAM took my last one (unlimited) some 20 years ago… but I can prove I’m a UK pensioner so there it is)

yes I do have the form S1 thanks

1 Like

yes you are right it should never be thought of as full insurance cover for all eventualities

1 Like

I hope you have an incident-free, thoroughly enjoyable visit to the UK… :+1: :+1: :+1: