Electric mowers

Been thinking of getting a battery mower to keep the front and directly by our terrace at the back tidy. Often it is Sunday when I have time so can’t start the petrol mower. Also if I’m tired much easier and lighter. I was all excited on Friday in Lidl and ready to put one in my trolley when I spotted it is corded which I don’t want. Any thoughts, advice, recommendations? Budget is cheap as I can but with OK and replaceable battery!

Thanks in advance.

I saw the 35 euro one at Lidl, it was very cheap.

You are probably looking at 100 euro for a battery one so it will cost quite a bit more.

If you have any cordless tools you could see if that manufacturer makes a cordless mower that you can buy without batteries which works out much cheaper - I did this with a Makita mower.

2 Likes

To be honest Mat after spending 50€ + on filling jerry cans on Friday 100€ is fine ! I’d rather have my own batteries as no doubt I’ll forget to charge them just as the man shape needs his drill or whatever :slight_smile: :rofl:

1 Like

Can you use electric tools on a Sunday? They are “power tools” and still make a nasty noise….

We have a couple of battery tools, and the strimmer only lasts 20 minutes between charges. (Which is actually fine for me! I like doing short bursts…)

1 Like

It’s an interesting one. Not having to buy a battery with each tool is a good thing, but having to use the same battery with each device is a form of “lock in”. I’ve been using De Walt (the “professional” product line of B&D) for over twenty years so I’ve actually a surplus of their batteries because some tools came with two. Now they’ve changed the battery :roll_eyes: on new devices. I think they’ve an adpater though :thinking:

1 Like

Very much depends on the battery, big difference between a little strimmer and a double battery 40+ volt mower.

1 Like

Yes I bought an adapter for some of my kit.

2 Likes

I have gone all in with Makita so batteries are not an issue - the tools without a battery are cheap and very good quality:

And this is only some of them… Don’t tell my wife!

2 Likes

I don’t tend to but our battery mower is very quiet and i doubt you could even hear it outside of our garden.

1 Like

Makita are a very good brand. You’ll be feeding back into the grid next :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

It would be fine here, we aren’t in town, just a hamlet and all on 4-8,000m2. My neighbour has one and it is soooo quiet!

So is that what I need to check, that it is at least 40v?

I’ll have a look how much their mowers are. I know we already have at least a couple of their tools!

My neighbour bought a little ride on mower. We’re restanque‘d and the soil, stones and rocks (ideal for vines) make a lawn a laughable dream, but he wanted his little tractor. Bless.

1 Like

Perhaps it’s a regional/ departmental decision but everything I’ve ever read said that anything electrical was exempt from any restrictions. The noise may be as loud, but I guess the thinking is there is, generally, a significant difference in the sort of noise between a big old petrol engine and the humming of a hover mower or such. I’m not sure if I agree, but I imagine that’s the rationale. But as I say, maybe that is only here.

I have adapter from Metabo to Makita as well. That lets me run some Makita kit.

1 Like

@Corona did you see my post about what I need to check for?

This may seem like an odd question, but are you not allowed to use mowers and other ‘power tools’ on a Sunday? Or is it a rule about making noise?

Jealous, I’ve only got 5 :frowning:

1 Like

Its a noise thing, after midday on Sundays. I’ve got no neighbours…

1 Like