Electric shower in France

Cross post! Fair enough, that I understand!

I remeber my dad fitting a 7.2kW one years ago and it had a tiny shower head and a tiny flow.
Things have moved on and mine is 10.5kW with a proper shower head but also a boosted flow via a pressure pump. That pump is needed because the UK has terrible victorian water supply

1 Like

Yes, you are correct, but as it’s no longer an option to change to it I decided not complicate my previous post.

Unless you have very old overhead lines the supply will be via 35mm² aluminium conductors, in a rural setting.

Unless you’re the only person on that transformer that won’t/can’t happen. ENEDIS have to supply 230V +/- 10% at the PDL.

Your volt drop could be caused by an undersized cable between the PDL/main disjoncteur de branchement & your tableau principal (I’ve come across much incompetence in this matter). It must be of a size to avoid more than 2% volt drop over that run.

This is an old graphic, but still correct.

1 Like

I quite like a gentle shower, rather than being blasted away, and it makes me feel less guilty for using less water. :wink:. I’m also grateful for a proper thermostatic two-knob shower unit instead of the ghastly single control jobs for controlling temperature and flow on one handle. :rage:

Some years back we had Canadian friends staying, and their daughter complained bitterly about not being able to wash the soap out of her hair. Our shower really wasn’t that bad, but she’d just been used to a blast of water. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Village rather than completely out in the sticks - it very much looks like 16mm2 to me, maybe 25 at a pinch.

Yes, indeed.

That’s also 16mm2 and, while I haven’t measured it, is less than a 10m run so - at 60A shouldn’t drop more than about 2.5-3V which would be within that 2% spec.

In fact there’s a junction box just above the meter & main disjoncteur - about 20cm of 16mm2 cable max, I just checked the voltage there with a 30A load and it was 207 vs 205 at the sockets in the kitchen. Admittedly that was with my cheapest and crappiest meter but the “good” one is having a fit of cold/damp induced collywobbles and showing 40VAC on the mains :frowning:

Also I packed away my installation checker for the time being.

OK, un-packed it.

This is what I get on the kitchen socket which is only about a 2m cable run from the tableau, 20A load according to the meter.

The earth loop is a bit high - as I haven’t actually done anything about the earthing yet, voltage is only just in spec though.

Maybe I should prod EDF after all.

that depends surely… if your hot water is supplied from the balon, as our is, and the balon is on hours creuse then the heating element won’t click in until (in our case) 22:30.

If it’s old uninsulated overheads then they’re very likely to be 16mm², possibly smaller…!

They are a hangover from the original “électrification rurale” at which time the grid demands now present were entirely unforeseen.

I once watched half a village get an entirely new high tension supply & new local low voltage cabling run in due to my client creating a new all electric house which ENEDIS happily agreed to supply, only to find that it was the last straw in that locality, with their 24/7 test reader showing long periods of only 165V P-N.

Definitely insulated.

Now, there’s an odd thing which I had not previous noted.

We’re monophasé, but there are four conductors coming in on the overhead.

I can’t see what happens when it hits EDF’s board but there are definitely just two 16mm2 tails coming out.

Could they be doubled up, or a previous triphasé installation.

This shower maybe
https://www.leroymerlin.fr/produits/chauffage-plomberie/chauffe-eau-et-ballon-eau-chaude/chauffe-eau-electrique-instantane/chauffe-eau-instantane-electrique-combi-douche-lavabo-m6-bgs-saniself-5-7-kw-70395374.html

At only 5.7kW it will provide at best a warm shower but in winter the flow rate would be pityful as would the temperature of the water.
I spec that for wash hand basins.

Checking their site, they’ve got a 10kw monophasé which would surely do the job…
whatever… there is definitely a variety of leccy instant showers available in France…

and it is legal to have one… so we’ve answered the original question… :+1: :+1:

I don’t thank anyone has said that there weren’t. My defensiveness is born out of dealing with people who buy a UK 11kW shower & then wonder why I tell them that it’s a bad idea/not possible.

Quite so. Again, no one here has doubted that, just pointed out the pitfalls &/or their possible non-compliance (which is not the same as law).

2 Likes

Seems it was an English person (possibly/probably in UK) who told the Original Poster…
but with all the banter back and forth…
I thought I’d just bring the thread back to the nitty-gritty of opening Post…
and I think we’re all agreed that whilst it is legal, whether or not it’s a good choice, remains to be seen…

1 Like

That’s very common. ENEDIS tend to send triphasé everywhere, with just the last link overhead link being mono.

In your case the house was probably triphasé at some point, if 4 wires descend to your house. A view of your “coffret de coupure” (where the grid fuses are) would tell me more, but experience tells me that it will be have 4 poles.

Don’t shoot the messenger, if you don’t like it do your own reserch :grinning:

It was nothing more than a response, non tech people often buy unsuitable equipment so just letting people know. Not picking on you.

Really is no need for that comment.

My post was a starting point, you chose to slap it down,the comment was fair.

Talking tabloid? No slap down, an explanation of the unit and its possible unsuitabilty or at least its shortcomings.