Electricity bill

So my house in France has been empty since September, last year I had a linky smart meter fitted. Just received my monthly bill from EDF, they say I used 36KWH more electric last month than the month before. How can this be right. Nothing in the house uses anymore electricity than the month before.?

There’s another thread about Linky and strange bills… you might find it useful to check what has already been suggested on that

Yes, I’m having a similar problem. However, in my case I was using 50kWh of electricity each month. With the installation of the Linky meter, we are now “consuming” a minimum of 1000kWh of electricity each month despite the property being empty.

An additional 36kWh per month isn’t a lot. Try installing the EDF et Moi app. Set the measurements to every half hour. Then you will get a better idea of your consumption.

Do you need to have your electricity supplied by EDF for this to work?

I’m really not sure what more we can add to the mix.

Perhaps @linky and @Mickottey can tell us how they get on once they’ve had a chance to follow some of the suggestions already made.

I must say that Insurers wanted us to make sure we switched everything OFF when leaving the house to go back to UK… when it was our 2nd home…

We unplugged all appliances and engaged the “OFF” switch at the mains…

I don’t know about other providers, but surely there should be a similar function. If you are with EDF you can access your hourly consumption via the app or online.

Same here. Insurance agent told us exactly what to do if leaving property empty. Electricity off, water off and open all taps to drain water.

1 Like

Not an option sadly - heat pump needs to stay on even if just on the “occasionally circulate water to avoid freezing solid” setting.

sorry if side-tracking… but is a heat-pump really ideal for a holiday home ???

I actually thought it was a terrible idea until I considered the alternatives.

1 Like

Heat pumps can warm a whole house very quickly, compared to a poelle. To arrive on a mid-December evening after a too long drive and have a warm house within a couple of hours used to be great.

However, nowadays being f/t French residents, we just use them in the winter for warming rooms that are only used occasionally. But in summer, if it heads towards the 40°C+, it’s worth exploring their dehumidifier function as a subtle alternative to the often too chilly a/c one.

I’m wondering what you use to heat the rooms you use all the time… in winter.

We have a tall, narrow three storey, mediaeval house that’s built into the side of a rocky gorge on the upper Lot - it’s one step down (in size and position) from the C10th towers that dot the village. On the ground floor theres just one 30’ long room, the middle floor’s about 10’ longer and there’s a couple of bedrooms on the top. But on the ground floor there’s a 9KW poelle whose flue is surrounded by a conduit that takes heat up to the upper floors. In addition heat convects via the staircases. We just have a few big rooms and everything works very well - now!

1 Like

I found that not only did the dehumid setting result in a more comfortable night’s sleep than the chilling setting but that starting the a/c on dehumid and running it on that for 20-30mins before switching to chilling significantly reduced overall consumption for the period the a/c was on.

The smart consumption app of Iberdrola.es gave an hourly bar-chart of kWhr and it was gratifying to see the bars shorter than equivalent period before I started operating this wheeze.

There has been several complaints about billing, since Linky was installed.
First, I would like to recall that they were installed to satisfy european regulation, in order for the providers to be able to propose hour by hour contracts (as was done in Spain, and provoked strong reactions from the population).
To come back to the billing problem, it has been noticed:

• many old meters were just not counting right. The new ones could be less tolerant.
  • a few times, the registered meter ID is wrong, and you are billed another meter. Check this online from the provider’s contract and compare with the ID which can be read directly on the meter.
  • if you suspect you meter does not count right, you can easily check it. Turn off as many items as you can in the house, note the instant power on the Linky counter and turn on a large appliance with a known consumption (like a heater, a boiler) and check the instant power difference. Do the same with a smaller appliance.

Finally, it has been realized recently with the energy price increase, that the national EDF/ENGIE provider with conventional prices is less impacted than privates companies initially offering more attractive contracts.

I appear to have the same issue living in Australia and not using any electricity in France during my absence - can any one provide me with a link to down load the EDF & Moi app for my desktop PC ?

Hi All - can anyone direct me to where & How I can download the EDF & Moi app for my Desktop PC not the app for the Mobile phone ?

Hi Peter
Not sure there is one, but hopefully someone will know for sure. After my Linky was installed I set up mon compte client on the Enedis website which allows you to associate your meter to your account. Can then view your daily consumption and time and amount of the peak daily power usage on a bar chart.

How to deal with your affairs online is usually on the back of bills like EDF’s these days, or on some bills at the bottom of the main bill page.

Will you be opting to receive all your EDF bills online in future? I’m gradually picking off mine one by one.

There isn’t an EDF & Moi program you can run on a PC. However there is a program called BlueStacks https://www.bluestacks.com/ which emulates Android on a PC. If you install that you can then install the EDF & Moi app app in BlueStacks and run it.

I use BluStacks for a couple of other Android apps on a PC but have not tried EDF & Moi.

Seach for BlueStacks EDF & Moi and you will find instructions on how to install them.

1 Like