Electricity meter switch

I have a little switch next to my hot water fuse in the electricity meter box that clicks on to only heat the water in low tarif time. I think it has been moved and I am not sure what it should be set to. Can someone tell me please? I have. Sun, a moon, 20V, and something else!

Sorry Helen, seems different to ours, which is set on ā€˜Autoā€™, to operate on the cheap rate.

Might be worth posting a photo

1 Like

My guess would be it should be where the moon is Helen, If the water is cold in the morning, feel free to blame me :wink:

If you google contacteur-jour-nuit-debflex, the pics show it like this
imagehttps://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51k9AHYTCxL.SL1181.jpg

From top to bottomā€¦for a cheap-rate switch it looks like:
Immediate, Automatic, Off (although that is an anglicised version)

Or another language, tells me that it is : (Sun) Daytimeā€¦ (Moon) Nightimeā€¦ and Offā€¦

:grin:

2 Likes

I agree with Stella & Bill

Thank you peeps - I have set to A (and the moon). Which of course makes sense. How does it know to operate in just the 8 Tarrif Bleu hours?

If that is the case then I might have to set my overnight house guests on you Bill!:joy:

1 Like

Thereā€™s a connection from the meter which activates the switch.

This may be entirely wrong - butā€¦ I was told by the electricity company that there is a signal sent to people on Tarrif Bleu which switches on the circuit at the correct time.

This came to light as we have a switch similar to the one you have shown but it was not working - the reason was that we were not on the correct tarrif so there was no signal being sent to us to switch it on.

ā€¦ they may have however been ā€œpulling my chainā€ and instead it is actually switched on by golden Unicorns!

1 Like

My money is on golden unicorns! But thanks for the heads up.

1 Like

On the switch in your pā€™oto Helen, if you had it set on the ā€˜sunā€™, I guess the heater would be on 24hrs., so the moon is logical to me :thinking:

If a bunch of irate folks beat me with cold wet towels tomorrow???

This isnā€™t the case. The ā€œSunā€ or ā€œIā€ (On) position will force the water heater on if you operate it during ā€œheures pleinesā€ (HP, or full rate) hours. This is to allow you to top up during the day if all your guests take long morning showers.
However, once ā€œheures creusesā€ (HC, or empty/cheap rate) hours kicks in via the magical golden unicorn switching system the switch in question will flick itself back to Auto/moon & will return to itā€™s usual 8 hours/day operation.
Thatā€™s the long way of saying that moving it to ā€œIā€ does not leave it on 24/7. If it never moves back to Auto then it (or itā€™s wiring to the meter) is faulty, or you arenā€™t actually on HP/HC tarif.

2 Likes

I think thats wott I implied Jonā€™ :slightly_smiling_face:

No, what Iā€™ve said isnā€™t what you implied.

Jonathan, never abbreviated please.

:slightly_smiling_face: Wonā€™t bother at all then Jonā€™ :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes