Electricity Prices 2022

I’ve yet to figure out just what this will mean to my household… presumably not such a hike as I was worrying about, which will be a relief.

More good news! Struggling to see how electricity prices are tied to gas prices when La France doesn’t use gas to generate electricity.

2 Likes

I though the french gov constrained edf from raising prices by moretham 5% PA?

Yes, my understanding is it’s capped, though I thought at 4%. EDF also cannot increase their wholesale price more than the same percentage, this protects third party suppliers. While a lot of power does come from their national nuclear network EDF will still have a big hit on their energy imports.

With all the very understandable kerfuffle in the UK over the impact of energy prices on the less well off (plus general inflation) I have yet to see the BBC mention the French cap. For decades I’ve noticed that when there’e an issue in the UK they are quick to follow the news item with a “but it’s worse in (fill in some country)” item. Seems the inverse isn’t true :roll_eyes:

1 Like

I think a significant number of nuclear power stations are offline for maintenance, or something.

1 Like

The nuke industry reckons to fall short by 10% output this year for maintenance.

1 Like

Well I guess we’d all rather that particular industry keeps to its maintenance schedules

2 Likes

Just noticed this detail… if the Electricity cap had not been put in place, I might be facing a hike of around 330€/an

@NotALot Apparently the French Gov’t have been petitioning Brussels recently to try and get the EU policy concerning the regulation of electricity prices changed, precisely because of the point you raised.

1 Like

Our local nuclear power station was only operating the one reactor this summer as the other was undergoing maintenance. Both operational at the moment, but I understand the other is due to undergo the same this spring.

We are with TotalEnergie on their internet tariff. They now announce that because of the general cost hikes they are reducing the discount from 10 to 7 percent (from EDF figures). I cannot for the life of me see the logic in that.

Further, this tariff means we just get one bill a year. TE will send a pdf attestation de domicile but we have found organisations do not accept that as proof of address, they insist on a bill. Since we have no phone fixed line account then the only bills we get which can be used as proof of living here are our water bills, only sent every 6mo.

These days we go onto our online accounts - edf, water or phone - and print off an online bill. We have not had hard copy bills from any of our utilities for years.