Elizabeth Borne has been pushed out

I think this sort of fairly regular occurrence is where Brits have most difficulty understanding the French system. whereas Borne, unsurprisingly understands it very well, and has graciously stepped down (with a little push from behind).

This is the end of her final letter, 'I thank you, once again, for the trust you have placed in me since 2017.

I send you my warmest wishes for success for the rest of your five-year term and ask you to believe, Mr. President of the Republic, in expression of my highest consideration.’

Basically, Macron’s re-booting things in advance of this year’s elections to the European Parliament (in which most SFers will no longer be able to vote).

2 Likes

Yes, obviously! She is the last person standing from the left of the party and has taken the rap for all the article 49.3s. It will be interesting if Attal takes her place.

1 Like

Attal looks the most likely to take over. Things haven been great between Macron and his PM for a while now. Macron has already refused to accept her resignation but this time she will be off.

I’ve been seeing lots of stuff on Twitter about him being the next PM. I like the guy. He’s incredibly young but I’ve been impressed every single time I’ve heard him speak… But can someone who’s only 34 really be the next PM?

1 Like

He worried my son being minister for education although not as bad as the baldy man was. I think he would make a good PM and I was shocked when I put the 20h news on to see Borne had demissioned. She always looked so severe to me, probably the hairstyle which did not suit her.

I shall miss her, and has my thanks for putting down that growing number in the house who wanted to reduce the autoroute speed limit to 110kph.

Haha, that’s a very low bar to judge anyone against… And his successor was even worse! The lettuce would’ve been better than both those and Sunak combined!

1 Like

Octavian was only 36 when he was made Imperator and restored the Republic.

2 Likes

Haha :smiley:

I’ve spent some time this morning Googling the youngest Prime Ministers throughout the world. Not gonna lie, there were more people in their 30s than I’d realised.

Has the new PM been announced yet?

He restored the Republic in name only. He had the real power, and by 26BCE he’d consolidated that power into absolute rule. He did it all very cleverly though, and by stealth and obfuscation, learning the lessons of what happened to his adoptive father Julius Caesar that the apparent use of naked power was abhorrent to Romans.

Donald Trump: “Hold my beer…” :frowning:

Just announced officially…

And William Pitt the younger was 24 when he became Prime Minister.

I see Attal has been confirmed.

I guess you want someone with a bit of maturity in a role like this - but the world hasn’t been done any favours by decrepit old men in power, now has it? So perhaps give a chance to someone who might actually have an interest in the future by dint of life expectancy measured in double figures.

1 Like

I didn’t say he was a Good Guy, just that he was a very smart cookie capable of controlling an empire in his 30’s.

Well if one has to have another white man from a privileged background and education then perhaps a young, gay jew is as good as it gets.

1 Like

Actually, he wasn’t a bad guy to have in charge. He was instrumental in drawing a line under years of civil war and many were grateful for that. He did a damn site better job of running the empire than the factional senate ever did. He introduced what we may look on as a modern professional civil service to run the empire instead of appointed cronies. He also instituted a governmental financial system to see where all the money was coming from, and more importantly where it went. As far as I know, he was never appointed Dictator or Imperator (I may be wrong), he was a very shrewd and intelligent guy who knew how to get people to do what he wanted and like him for it. It was only late in life that things started to change and after he died, Tiberius changed everything and took on the Imperator title.

La passation de pouvoir.

@hairbear
You might enjoy this

1 Like