Elizabeth is Missing

Saw this again last night and was again blown away by the performance of Glenda Jackson, a longtime favourite of mine. At the age of 84, and looking it, how on earth could she play a woman so affected by dementia? Of course there were moments of clarity but the character overall was a study in confusion, her imagination leaping back and fore between the loss of a current friend and a beloved elder sister 70 years earlier. Similarities with the situation with my own wife, not quite her age, were stark for me, the only difference between them was Ms. Jackson’s mobility, rushing about her local area on her perceived mission.

The frequent flashes of anger with those around her were stark too.

1 Like

Was this on UK telly, David? I’m interested to watch it.

Yes BBC 4 last night. Have you seen it before? Perhaps it is available on Netflix UK or catchup or whatever they call these things beyond my comprehension. :rofl: I just have Netflix France. :smiley:
I also saw part of a very interesting interview with Glenda Jackson just before it. She looks very old, but no more than befits an 86 year old.
Although I saw it when it was first broadcast, I wanted to see it again in the light of our own ongoing story.

BTW, on the subject of that interview and, although I don’t share her hatred of Margaret Thatcher, I was fully appreciative of her very honest speech in the House of Commons in the week that MT died. Non of this nonsense, just because someone is dead, of going through the motions of how much they were loved/appreciated/will be missed. She hated all MT stood for, and said so, while acknowledging the achievement of being the first UK female PM.

1 Like

Thanks. I’ll try to catch it on iPlayer over the coming days.