Email: Why do they bother having an address?

Ta Kirstea I will take a look.

1 Like

I have used this website for checking grammar. It seems to do the job.

3 Likes

If that is the case then why bother publishing an email address?

One wonders, hence the title of this thread.

2 Likes

because it “looks good” perhaps?
Think history here…
First there was Minitel then Fax then the internet and with it a whole raft of social media applications such as FB and the like.
I think France has always embraced the telephone culture and so continues today.
In our experience using FB to contact utilities seems to work more effectively (I’m not a FB user by the way).
EDF have a very good mobile app and I note that Saur do too…

Worth a try?

Maybe though I don’t understand why it would be more successful than the “espace client” - probably goes through the same path electronically.

But I think we’re at the “signed for” letters stage - with the threat of a 300€ fine if I hadn’t sorted it by the end of April I think I need proof that they have received my communications.

1 Like

always a good idea when proof is required… tends to have the effect of focusing minds too :wink:

I’ve been a “fly on the wall” in several French Offices and know from such… that the Inbox is often totally overloaded. The person scans down… looking for Specific Senders in order to get the “known to be important” stuff. Anything else might/will get left for later and often later never comes as the incoming Specific-Senders’ emails push others further and further down…

Not saying it’s right… just that I know it happens.

However, as has been stated… a recorded delivery (or similar) should get actioned.

Indeed.

I know the feeling of a crowded inbox so have some sympathy but completely ignoring a customer’s email does not give a good look.

{gallic shrug} bof…

France has always been more enamoured of the telephone than many other countries.

I remember on early solo trips to France discovering the second earpiece on telephone handsets to assist with calls in noisy environments or when total concentration was required.
In the 70’s I was involved with a BT research project and mentioned the French additional earpiece and the engineers simply laughed in a very derogatory manner: “Why on earth would you need that?” they scoffed…

1 Like

:rofl:

1 Like

The trouble with this of course is that it costs money. I’ve easily spent a couple of hundred euros sending these so far, money well spent if it gets a response, but I can (just about) afford it. It’s another of those cases perhaps where very sensible advice is given by very well intentioned people to who at this point a fiver or whatever for an AR is absolutely nothing, but some won’t be able to afford that every time they need to get the attention of ‘the powers that be’ which is why alternative methods like email, or even just replying to regular green stamped letters can actually be incredibly important.

1 Like

Yup, alarming amounts (7 quid for “international signed and tracked”) and I’ll need to send two - one to SAUR and one to SIAEP

But, as you say, if it gets the ball rolling, it’s probably worth it.

To an extent it’s the price for not being “on site” and not having the language skills for the phone - but even SFers who are permanently resident in France have admitted talking on the phone is just about the hardest language scenario.

1 Like

That wasn’t for your other ear Brian, it was for a friend to hear the conversation too. A sort of early conference call. :rofl:

Err what’s generation zed? :confused:

2 Likes

Lost on me as I’ve never actually had any friends :wink: :rofl:

2 Likes

Those born mid 1990’s to early 2010’s, the generation after the millennials.

So it’s not them with all those tanks in the Ukraine then. :astonished:

To be honest I thought they were the millennials. :neutral_face:

5 Likes

subtle David, very subtle :wink:

Millennials are 1980-1996
Gen Z are 1996-??? 2010 maybe?

Email: Why do they bother having an address?

I suspect much of the explanation for this - and the online message facilities that go unanswered - is that multinationals have a standard multinational business format, and that business development advisers in various guises also think they ought to follow the same formats - “You need an online presence with these standard components…” - but do not take into account, precisely, the cultural differences.

I’ve certainly noticed new businesses maintaining an online presence, responding to enquiries, updating their Facebook pages, etc - but as the novelty wears off, advisors’ or foreign bosses’ influence fades, and they settle in with good regular customers, the strong culture of personal contact gradually takes over, the online stuff takes a back seat, and customers simply have to phone or call in.

1 Like