'Embarrassed to be British...'

Having their cake and eating it too?

In a way it seems that’s true. My guess though is that the unionists (on both sides of the Irish Sea) are afraid of prosperity - with good reason I think, not only because extremism declines with shared prosperity, but also because as NI is seen to be doing better than other parts if the UK, the case for a united Ireland gets stronger.

Interesting poll linked by Chris Grey at the weekend (in the course of his usual excellent evisceration of brexiter nonsense) - showing opinion in Northern Ireland moving steadily further against brexit but in favour of the Protocol…

1 Like

You have to ask what on earth the UK government is doing - and why?
In view of the above - the protocol is working well for NI, and is increasingly popular - and parties that support it are now in the majority there - why is the UK prepared to further undermine its international standing, and risk chaos at its other borders, and in its fisheries?

1 Like

Because Boris and Brexiteers in general need to continue to play the victim and keep the culture wars alive to encourage their fanbase.

It’s sort of Orwell’s perpetual war but focussed inward, not outward.

See also many of Chris Grey’s blog articles.

1 Like

Yes, that’s what I thought - and I posted in another thread earlier that view form inside the Tory Party…

… but are they really willing to provoke the chaos - and possibly killing - that might follow just to… what? Avoid a leadership challenge? Go to the country amid a xenophobic frenzy?

Former head of the WTO is also puzzled…

The Guardian has just reported on a leaked internal report the Home Office tried to suppress, which clearly implies the UK government is institutionally racist…

1 Like
2 Likes

Another survey of post-brexit attitudes - this time of EU residents in the UK.
Not surprisingly, none of them are embarrassed about the EU - just the opposite, indeed.
Among the comments by French people are:

• “Hope my country of origin will never become as unfair and xenophobic as the UK is now,” said a French woman, aged 62.
  • A 52-year-old French woman who had returned to France said she “took the EU for granted before Brexit” but was “now aware of how precious it is, even if not perfect”.
  • A 64-year-old French-born woman in the UK for more than 40 years said: “I can barely express how hurt I am. I came to the UK in 1979 and worked in the NHS. I have felt betrayed, unheard, uncared for. I started to suffer from anxieties. I decided to apply for British citizenship, not because I wanted to be British, but so I could sleep at night again. When I got my British passport, I spat on it.”

Which proves that she should never have been granted a British passport!

2 Likes

Plus ça change plus c’est la même chose ici.

Not long back from a visit to family in that appalling country. Go back to England? Never, the foul, corrupt UK (read London) government and the ignorance of those who voted to leave the EU has brought the nation to it’s knees and made the break up of the Union more likely.

2 Likes

Perhaps the UK could add it to the list of questions.

2 Likes

Plague Island… I see that a new one now threatens… poliovirus (although the risks are being played down by the UKHSA)

You’ll provide a reasoned comment on that claim, of course…

1 Like

The implication, I take it, is that citizenship should be granted not on the basis of objective eligibility criteria, but political opinions. Scary.

2 Likes

Just behaviour.

hers or the UK Governments? and why was it just?

spitting on anything as a protest is a subhuman gesture not worthy of a human being who has a brain and words, I suppose, carried out by snakes and, I think, some species of monkeys.

1 Like