Emergency Dental treatment/Dental needs

But they are perhaps more relevant in cities/towns where the possibility of contact with others is much greater.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s as maybe ,the existing rules apply to every one

But medical appointments are within the rulesā€¦and dentists are classed as medical surely.

1 Like

I think I need to clarify as I am unsure who is ā€œappalledā€ and who is aghast. As ever the choice of wording in a post can be critical.
I was merely reporting that dentists appear to be working under strict guidelines. I believe the patient has to present certain aspects to merit treatment. In my case I did qualify being in some pain with a broken tooth partially embedded in my gum. It was my interpretation that I thought I just made the grade as the restrictions on normal practise seemed pretty stringent.

Emergencies only though Jane.

Donā€™t think anyone is arguing with that Mary.

All right people - a funny story to get everyone giggling - rather than snipingā€¦please!!

One of my students is a dentist. Last summer she employed her uni student daughter to work as a receptionist. After a week the dentist was surprised at the lack of ā€˜emergencyā€™ cases. Closer questioning revealed her daughter had turned away all the walk ins that she classed as ā€˜disgustingā€™ and was very proud that she had ā€˜savedā€™ her mum from having to deal with any broken teeth and blackened stumpsā€¦!!!

4 Likes

I did say that we were obeying the rules, but we feel sure that if we needed help we would get it from our neighbours.

Iā€™m not that bad Cat!

1 Like

Well, I was treated and must have qualified because the jagged tooth was creating sores on my tongue.

I had a crown fall out on Saturday. Luckily there is no pain because when the crown was put in they did a root canal at the same time, so thatā€™s good. Emailed my dentist with a picture of the crown and where it was supposed to be. She emailed me back to say that the earliest they could see me was 11 May, but recommended that I get some Cimadent to apply to the space as a temporary to keep the tooth from degrading.
Now Iā€™m just waiting for that to arrive from NIce (Iā€™m in Aix and no pharmacy around here had the product as itā€™s usually only bought by dentists).
Adventures in DIY toothology!

2 Likes

That is extremely useful as Jim is just waiting for one of his crowns to fall out!
I have just Googled this and you can get amazing things from a website called Tout Dentaire.
I have been advised to get some fissure sealing to put on my tooth which needs a crown.

2 Likes

We have actually ordered from a site www.laboratoire-medident.fr .
Clear resin for the fissure in my tooth and a cement for refixing crowns.

3 Likes

Thanks for this link Jane. I am very pleased to find cement to fix a troublesome bridge that I noticed - today - has started moving. It wonā€™t be long before it wants to fall outā€¦ and likely to be even longer before I can visit the dentist!

1 Like

Excellent. I think I will pass it on to our Commune as well.

I may need to find a dentist as absolutely horrible toothache today every 4 hours as and when painkillers wear off.

Hi Mat, toothache is terrible you have my sympathy. I have a suggestion until you can get to the dentist although itā€™s a bit late today. Go to the pharmacist and get some bain de bouche called Chlorhexidine/Chlorobutanol 0.5ml/o.5g pour 100ml. Forget what it says on the bottle, mix 50:50 with hot water and then swirl round your mouth but try to hold it where the toothache is for as long as possible. Do this at least 3 times spitting it out in between. If you can bear it then try to reduce the quantity of water but be careful itā€™s very strong and it can burn. Do that 3 times a day. If you are lucky it may clear it up in a couple of days.
Also, I suggest alternating paracetamol with ibuprofen. You can have a dose of each every four hours so 2 hours paracetamol followed 2 hours later by ibuprofen and repeat. I was told to do this by a dentist whilst waiting for antibiotics to work.
It might just be worth asking one of the medical people. I believe Paul Flinders is a doctor from reading his posts.
I hope you get it sorted soon.
All the best
Izzy x

2 Likes

Thank you

1 Like

Given itā€™s a public holiday try salt water gargle instead. Works quite effectively in same principle and using same approach. Disgusting, but then so is tooth pain. Try not to rinse your mouth too quickly afterwards (or down something alcoholic - wait a little bit first).

3 Likes

Thanks @JaneJones - I will give this a go for now as we have what is needed.

1 Like