Hi there. Just thought I would relate a recent experience I had in case it is useful to anybody.
Staying with my children in Brighton a few weeks back I developed a nagging pain in my lower molar, something that has come and gone a few times in the past, and I assumed it would be the same this time, so I persevered and decided to grin and bear it. But it got worse and reached a crescendo when the pain became intolerable and it was accompanied by swelling and pain the surrounding gum.
I was due to return to France a week later but was worried that if my gum was septic then things could get serious and I couldn’t afford to wait to see my dentist here (who although she is marvellous, frankly even registered patients generally have to wait weeks for an appointment). So I tried my daughter’s dentist and a few others and not surprisingly was told that there were no appointments for several days.
Then I was told about an emergency dental service in the town and that if i called the number after 5:30pm they might be able to help. So I called at 5:40pm and spoke to an incredibly helpful and knowledgeable receptionist who, after listening carefully to the problem, asked “Can you be here in 30 minutes?” Thankfully I could and went straight to their surgery in the city. I explained that I have an S1 status here in France and am eligible for NHS treatment and she was very knowledgeable and assured me there would be no problem.
I was quickly examined and X-rayed by a very competent vet who explained that I had a failed root canal work underneath a perfectly good crown. The gum was inflamed was not septic. Removing the crown and undertaking root canal work was of course outside the remit of an emergency service and she offered 3 options: she could extract the tooth at no extra charge; she could refer me to a specialist to have the crown removed, root canal cleaned up and the crown replaced (likely cost c£1,000) or she could give me a prescription for antibiotics and leave me to see if it settled, with the option of returning if it was necessary.
I chose option 3 and she advised getting the antibiotics but then not taking them unless and until the gum became infected, rather than inflamed, as it was then. Although the pain continued for a few days, it was a relief to know that it would not escalate into something more serious and after 3 days the pain started to subside and is now more or less gone, as is the swelling, and I have the untouched antibiotics on hand just in case.
The consultation was just £27 and had I required treatment (eg a filling) that would have been included in that amount, as I think I understood correctly would have been any return visit for the same issue. The prescription was filled by the pharmacy at no cost to me.
I guess the issue is not fully resolved and now I am back I will make an appointment with my regular dentist here to discuss whether or more likely when I should have the root canal work that is likely to be needed. Meanwhile it is comforting to know that if needed, such services do exist, at least in Brighton they do (I am sure it differs everywhere).