England v France in World Cup Quarter Final

Do you find it difficult to decide who to support for the game on Saturday 10th?

Our local school has been showing the France games in the hall with a projector along with wine & nibbles (obviously!). - it may be quite a lively night there for someone English!

Who will you be supporting?

• England
  • France
  • Happy for either team to win
  • Not interested in football

0 voters

1 Like

What a decision.

Already getting text and messages from UK asking who I will support.

Going for England but happy if les Bleus win

I hope it will be an amazing game, and I think the winner will be in pole position to lift the cup

2 Likes

Thoroughly enjoyed both games but will support les bleus as I feel more french than english these days with very little contact to the UK now. Its a competition and end of the day, the best team will win regardless unless its shoot out penalties which always seems so unfair after a couple of hours in that heat.

3 Likes

I’m finding it very difficult. The family is divided and so am I. I can’t deny that emotionally I’m for France - this has crept up on me, surprised me - all to do with feelings without any conscious decision - but I also like and respect Gareth Southgate and many of the English players, so will be sorry to see them lose.
Sorry - would be sorry to see them lose…

2 Likes

Love the poll. Support for France, and that ‘Happy for either team to win’ trumps England.

For me, it is not really about which team, and certainly not which country, win but about the magic of teamwork and occasional human magnificence that make the game such a joy.

I shall be watching the 19 year old (!) ‘brilliant Bellingham’, Mbappé, Marcus Rashford, Harry Kane and others with a glass (or 2) of Prosecco in hand. I really do not care about nationality, the beauty of the game transcends all that for me.

All this, despite a ball being involved!

1 Like

I’m torn over this. I’ve fully embraced living in France and, once I can do so, I fully aim to obtain French citizenship… So part of me wants France to win.

But then again, I’m half English… and Wales were eliminated so I can no longer support them.

Plus my partner is French and a little bit of rivalry can be a good thing, so maybe I’ll support England just for that reason :grin:

The questionnaire should have had a fifth choice - boycotting due to terrible human rights (6000 (?) DEAD, LGBQT illegality and no beer) and total corruption.

Having boycotted it to date doubtless we shall sally forth on Saturday to watch in the atmosphere. Madame shall be supporting England.

I shall be supporting Scotland even though they are useless - oh…

OK, France because of the belle alliance and also I can be honest in my citizenship interview many years down the line when asked.

Also edit - how can one not support a country which serves wine and nibbles for the students during the games!

3 Likes

I wouldn’t be too sure on the no beer front :wink:

5 Likes

We have also boycotted all matches up to now for the human rights and ecological issues, for the deaths of all those workers etc. Very busy working Saturday so won’t get to see England/France. If one of them does get to the final, then we’ll see. I might try and stick my head in the sand ostrich-like to avoid thinking about the numerous issues surrounding this world cup, in order to support England or France (I have dual nationality)!

2 Likes

OH will be supporting whoever plays the best game without using any viciousness. I will have my headphones on.

2 Likes

1 Like

Allez les Bleues!!!
:blue_heart::white_heart::heart:

1 Like

Apparently The Sun has rented a billboard in Paris

Yeah, that’ll improve Anglo-French relations.

I hope we lose after that display.

Karma can be a bitch, can’t it?

3 Likes

Time to switch allegiance?

If the word ‘SO’ wasn’t in the english vocabulary how would football pundits string a sentence together?

2 Likes

Did I miss something important?…

Not really, although it was important to many people.

Did I miss something important?…

Not really, although it was important to many people.

And with a sniff, it ends. Brexit!

No, Harry Kane did though

6 Likes