English speaking physical therapist

Hello,
I moved from Arizona to Paris with my wife and 2 little kids in September 2020. I was hoping you may be able to give me some advice to get my name out as an English speaking physical therapist in Paris because I know people are looking and they are difficult to find. I have had many people very happy to work with me after struggling in the French system. The treatment seems to be different as well between kine and physical therapy after talking with local doctors, my wife’s family and my clients. If you have any ideas please let me know.

Hello Eric

Are you registered in France and thus available through the French Health System???

1 Like

If you know all this, then apologies. But just in case!

I presume your training was in the States? If so you need to get your qualifications recognised here as otherwise you could run into problems if you carry out any interventions that are considered to be physiotherapy here. This is a regulated profession. If you don’t then the only thing you can legally do is stuff like massage.

Either way you need to set yourself up as a business, such as an auto-entrepreneur, with the appropriate business registration and insurance. If your qualifications are recognised you can join (eg) the order of masseurs-kinés so you pay your contributions to social security etc.

If your qualifications aren’t recognised then you can only set yourself up as a professional liberale masseuse bien-être. You will of course still pay tax and social security contributions. Clients will not be reimbursed by social security so this is a barrier, but many masseuses manage despite. And if you are targeting an english speaking clientele this may not be an issue for you.

Here are several links that explain all this - in French as the english sites are unreliable as regards the law.

I know this all sounds complex, but I would recommend you do follow the rules. The French labour laws are very strict and penalties severe. They are renowned as being more ferocious that the tax authorities here.

1 Like

This is great information, thank you! I am aware of many of the legal issues. I have an auto entrepreneur license and I am working under a personal training license therefore I am able to perform exercises and massage along with consultation for my medical expertise. However this is not reimbursed through the French system however I have found some mutuels cover a portion of personal training sessions.

I have been cautious to avoid legal issues with the business.

Hi Stella,
I am not registered, I am working under a personal training license and do not have reimbursement with Ameli

Fair enough…

Round here, “bio” shops tend to be places where complementary therapists leave their advertising material - newsletters, business cards, etc. People who buy produce in bio shops tend to be from your client profile. Look at the material from other therapists and get to know them, pay for their therapies, find common ground. For example, I’ve noticed that an acupuncturist has just opened a clinic in one of our local villages - I saw her ad in our local bio shop and have her details now on my phone for when I need her.

You’re lucky you are in Paris, there are bookshops for the English, or with English sections - again, see if they will accept your marketing material.

Go through yellow pages for the Paris area - there will be hundreds of complementary therapists. Look for geographic areas where they cluster - see whether there are shared premises - for example our local town has several osteopaths who have chosen to set up their consulting rooms in the same block. Like shoe shops, gives customers multiple choice! :slight_smile:

Look for English speaking clubs / newsletters in the Paris area. Place adverts in the newsletters, offer to write short articles about complementary health issues. If the clubs have guest speakers, offer to give a talk/ demonstration of what you do. That’s how I discovered the reflexologist I now go to.

Do you have a good website where you have some beautiful photos, talk about your training, what you do, endorsements from people whom you have helped? Are you on Facebook etc? Keep your material updated and post frequently small interesting snippets to keep the “bots” finding your site and pushing you up the listings.

Get to know gite owners / chateau owners and the like who are wanting to offer their guests something extra during their stay. If that goes well you may be able to organise “retreats”, long weekends etc where groups attend - eg I have friends who run yoga and meditation retreats. If you can combine with other therapists or someone who is an excellent vegan / vegetarian chef so much the better.

NB: in all of this I am assuming that you are complying with the points being made above about working within the French system, what qualifications you need, and will have appropriate insurance.

Hope there are some ideas here that help.

3 Likes

Be careful, if you are a personal trainer you aren’t a kiné so watch out, you may get into trouble for calling yourself a therapist and doing things kiné do, without being registered as one. Kiné do the first year of medicine at university and then their kiné training.

1 Like

Ah…how does one find a good reflexologist?

When things open up again I may look for one.

I thought reflexology was all bunkum. Then spending some days in Bangkok I saw all the foot massage parlours and decided to try. Just expecting nothing, an hour or so of relaxation but nothing particularly taxing.

So it went for 40 mins or so and I was thinking this is boring, nothing special really just a waste of time. Suddenly a sharp pain, I was on my way up to hit the ceiling. Then again on another spot a short while later. As now I was paying attention and saw my foot was being poked everywhere with a wooden skewer, but only those 2 spots hurt.

I asked what was happening. My grinning masseuse produced the reflexology map of a foot and showed me the labels of the 2 sensitive spots. They were the only 2 health areas where I have ever had problems. Somehow she had (literally) pinpointed them.

I left with respect, humbled, and gave a big tip.

1 Like

Reflexology is great. Some kiné get training in it (the amazing and fabulous Mr Gallon in Bergerac for example). I used to accompany my Viet great grandmother to her reflexology and acupuncture and ventouse sessions.

I’ve looked up ventouse in a dictionary but am no wiser as to what it is,medically…?

@Eric_Von_Hess

Eric… I understand you’ve come from Arizona, but I don’t really understand what is meant by “Physical Therapist”. (this is not a phrase I am used to)

Over the years I’ve received a great deal of “kinésithérapie” in France and am wondering if what you offer is actually the same with just an American name…

I’m possibly not the only person feeling confused, so if you can give me a little detail it would be much appreciated.

cheers

It seems they are not quite the same… fair enough… I was just wondering.

Massive overlap though. Sort of kiné mixed with Occupational Therapy?

1 Like

Thank you, I am absolutely aware of the distinction and in no way attempt to impersonate a kiné. I have an American Doctorate Degree in Physical therapy and although I am not licensed here I have given lectures at the Ecole D’Assas for kinesitherapeutes and podiatres.

I also know many personal trainers who are better working with people than physical therapist and kinés so it all depends on who you see and their experience. Regulation and insurance is absolutely necessary however to protect the public particularly from people who impersonate other professionals.

I have spent 6 years in outpatient practice, 3 years in the hospital and 1 year with a university athletics program working with people to relieve pain, return to functional activities, or improve their performance.

I have used exercise, massage, manipulation, dry needling, cupping, Graston to improve conditions but the most important change comes from education and small lifestyle changes.

I would think there are many folk who will be able to benefit from your skills and the fact that you can discuss in their native tongue must be a plus.
(when one is in pain and/or stressed… the brain often ceases to work)

1 Like

Thank you Sue! I did not think of the bio shops. I was not certain if practitioners were found at these places and it sounds like you have had a good personal experience.

I do have a website which about 1/3 of my new clients have found me through, another 1/3 I get from word of mouth and 1/3 through physician referrals.

I do have insurance and a business license

3 Likes

Hi Eric!

I’d love to know how you’re getting on? I’m currently training as a physiotherapist in the UK and unfortunately since Brexit my qualification won’t be recongnized in France and will require me to do another 2 years of studying in France (if I can even get in to the schools!). My husband is French and the plan is to move back out there so I’m trying to figure out how I can work!

Knowing that French law and some French people feel very strongly about what is considered a “Kiné’s” role and everyone staying in their lane, I wondered if you’ve come up against any hurdles as someone who is offering exercises, advice, massage etc but who doesn’t have the French diploma?

Hope to hear from you