Enseignant Contractuel help / advice

Why is Rectorat implying teaching there esp contractuel is the same as being a French govt etc. employee? ie must be EU nationality. I would guess teachers in Catholic schools don’t count as that type of employee. So why are they implying that requirement.

On the qualification(s) I would have sent in the midwifery one without comment.

Thinking they may not realise if you have WA CdS you retain your right to work in France too.

I sent the MW and nursing degrees

I mentioned I had permanent residency in my lettre de motivation (I think!). But I read that as being a EU / non EU issue regardless of residency status.

Tory, I haven’t taught for 10 years now but have taught in CCIs, IUTs, cneap and a little in the public sector too here in France. Nearly all the work I found was through candidatures spontanées and later through contacts. “Throw enough mud and some will stick” :wink: I understand that anything other than french qualifications is a bit of a nightmare, worse now following Brexit, so private rather than public is probably a much better bet and an easier way in. Bonne chance !

1 Like

Hi Andrew,
You are probably right, I need to approach all sorts of places I think.

I think I need to forget the French school system both Catholic and public as I’ve just had this reply (after answering the email I got this morning) and it looks like without an actual English degree they dont’ want me anyway :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Bonjour,

Si vous n’avez pas de diplôme d’anglais cela va être compliqué pour valider votre dossier

Je vous laisse voir avec le service de suppléance de la Dordogne ce que vous pouvez faire, mais je ne pense pas que le rectorat validera une mise en place pour l’anglais sans les diplômes afférents.

I don’t know if this is of any encouragement at all but one of my French teachers, who lived in the UK for a while so is pretty fluent in English has a large number of private students, children and adults, and there is always a high demand for her lessons. She teaches French to the English and English to the French. She has no qualifications in either language but operates as an AE.

2 Likes

I’m already doing private teaching I just really wanted to find a ‘real job’ with the private stuff as extra. Can’t believe how gutted I feel :cry: I’ve wanted to do this for ages and thought that a degree plus native language was enough from people I’ve spoken to.

1 Like

Unfortunately the lack of recognition of other qualifications is a lot to do with Brexit. So sorry, Tory :frowning:

2 Likes

In practice and in a pragmatic anglosaxon world, yes, unfortunately for you we’re in France where qualifications are everything. I taught English for a number of years at an IUT but ended up teaching French to Chinese student for the last three years (I was the only one “qualified” to do it (maîtrise fle)) leaving a German to teach English to the French students whilst German was taught by a French woman… :rofl::rofl::rofl:
I’ve already mentioned CCI and for me that was the best/most enjoyable teaching I did, nearly always adults, most often out in businesses and factories across the Aveyron. Made loads of contacts and friends and it was hands on because they usually had a specific needs which made it so much motivating. As with everything, direct contact is usually best, go and pester them and see if you can get your foot in the door, I started with an evening class and ended up turning down work as I simply had too much between the CCI and the IUT. I always turned down private work as people wanted lessons for next to nothing but if you can make that pay why not :wink:

2 Likes

I am not a fan of Brexit but blaming it with this in not true.
13 years ago before the word Brexit had been created I had to present my qualifications here as part of the process to set up a micro bic as without them the process could not be completed. The final act after presenting my papers was to sign one more document confirming that what I had presented was not recognised In France. :rofl::rofl:

1 Like

I forgot to say that although the public CAPES is no longer open to British citizens the private school version (CAFEP-CAPES) is open to anyone regardless of nationality. From what I understand you need to have a school that agrees to host you as a stagiaire, so if you’d worked for a year or two as a suppléante you might find they’re willing to help you out

(I’m a stagiaire in a public collège currently)

1 Like

As sorry just seen the subsequent messages. That’s all very annoying.

Is it that none of our qualifications are recognised in France now, even if they were awarded pre-Brexit? Would this be the same for the private sector (I mean more generally, not schools) ?

2 Likes

Slightly off the wall idea
Wondering if it’s worth looking at any qualification of another EU country that is recognised here for what you wish to do.

1 Like

A little update from today. The lovely @cat and I had a long conversation last night and she made me feel SO much better after the couple of knocks I’ve had with the degree situation last week and then a disastrous phone interview on Wednesday that had left me feeling a bit crap!

So after her supportive words to just try as many ‘formation’ places as I can I sent off a couple of CVS today from ads I found and low and behold I had a phone call a couple of hours later from a nice looking business school in Bergerac and I have a meeting with them on Monday! It is only a 4 hour / week contract but it is a foot in the door and if we all like each other of course can lead to more work AND will be great to have some experience for my CV rather than just my private lessons. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: great end to the week! Now I’m sure it must be wine o’clock!

She also said I shouldn’t totally give up on the schools but try them direct rather than through the rectorate!

7 Likes

Is this of any use:

It is someone I subscribe to on YouTube as normally she discusses life and language in France.

2 Likes

Congrats Tory! The foot in the door is so true! That’s how my OH ended up working nearly full time for a local business school.

1 Like

So the interview went well as in i think they liked me and it really seemed a lovely place. I was interviewed by 3 people - the main part of the job is a first year BTS commerce. Asked ho I would be with that as they could see I’ve not really had any classroom experience. I just said that I think I’d be fine as I’m not 25 and have ados / early 20s of my own so not a new concept dealing with them! The 2nd bit of the job has me worried - it is helping kids doing DU?(??? - a BAC if they haven’t got it and need to do further studies) to prep for an exam that involves 3 hours of translating a text from English to French - really not sure about this but said I’d be happy to put the work in to make it work. May ell be a deal breaker for them and I"m not sure about it!

So now I know what / when etc I’m going to call the contact @cat gave me tomorrow to try to get some work over the summer.

5 Likes

Hope you get it Tory.

3 Likes

Fingers crossed Tory. :crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

DU : Diplôme Universitaire from what I can remember, Tory, but I’ve been out of teaching for nearly 10 years now! I’m sure Véro will correct me if needs be!
Fingers crossed for you, Tory :wink::crossed_fingers:

1 Like