EORI number

Am trying to buy three bits of equipment from the UK. They’re heavy and are sent out on a pallet. Apparently since Brexit this is “complicated” says the seller, to export to someone who is a private individual not a business. It requires an EORI (Economic Operators Registration and Identification number). It’s free but without it your pallet will not pass customs. I wrote to douane.gouv. fr and wrote the Subject: EORI pour particulier.
Got this answer:

Bonjour,

Les particuliers n’exerçant pas d’activité en lien avec la législation douanière ne doivent pas disposer d’un numéro EORI.

Well that’s nice, but I doubt the seller will accept this, and even if he did, what’s going to happen when Douane Eddy says Non! So I replied to the letter asking for a pointer to the legislation. While waiting, I’m wondering if anyone here knows about this.
Thanks in advance.

Slightly confused as to why the seller can’t sell to an individual?? Never been an issue in buying things from the UK so does this company not normally sell straight to the public but is trade only?

Or is this because they have never done it before so are trying to export (which is business to business) rather than sell (which is business to individual), so have looked at wrong bits of guidance.

But yes EORI numbers are for businesses, so if you don’t have a business or Siret number you can’t get one.

(Or perhaps you have a mate with a business?? )

“Les particuliers n’exerçant pas d’activité en lien avec la législation douanière ne devront pas disposer d’un numéro EORI et seront identifiés par la mention « OCCASIONNEL »”.

It looks like the douanes are correctly telling you their rules, and your seller was wrong to tell you to get an EORI number which you can’t get. No doubt there is a solution but that’s not it. Your seller will have to figure out how the “occasionnel” process works.

But surely business in one country to individual in another country is still exporting?
Or is it just not called that?

Thank you. Oh, I can’t reply inline on the forum. I can’t see what you wrote. I received an email from you but for some reason it is not showing up on my candle (kindle).
So, they said they used to sell to individuals abroad but because the UK is outside the EU, the E… whatever ECOLI…EORI …EEYORE number is now necessary. Actually that kind of explained why another company didn’t want my money. I asked about the postage costs and they said I’d have to get a courrier. No suggestions as to who, no info on weight and dimensions of parcel. They just didn’t give a rats. So the guy on the phone wanted to help but said this number business was essential. I had intended to buy three items separately to see if the first item arrived OK, etc., he said it would be much more economical to put 3 items together, one piece of paperwork, one fee. The three items are for 300, 500, then 2,500 €£, and I wanted to dip my toe in first. I don’t know anyone here in business who brings things in from the UK. (Yeah, I’d thought of that.) Next I suppose I’ll ask the guy for a reference for the rules his company is looking at.
Thanks again so much!

Thank you! Never come across “ocassionel” (sorry, I can’t see the spelling) but I bet it’s faux ami numéro 562! I’ll look it up on the French government website.

Sorry, I don’t know if there is a technical/legal difference. It’s an established company manufacturing and trading in heavy construction equipment – for diggers (for which I’m trying to buy attachments) and so on. So they’re well used to exporting, and used to sell (export!) to individuals in Europe before Brexit. Phew.

I should say that gov.uk website, under ‘Brexit: business guidance’ says:

“You do not need an EORI number if you’re moving goods for personal use only.”

I don’t want to tell this company they don’t know what they’re talking about because one item I’m after is €300 (+ £80 shipping) from the UK and €600 (free shipping) here. €200 is quite a lot of croissants I think.

Hi JC

you are right.
you do not need an EORI number if your moving goods for personal use.
you only need one if your moving goods commercially.
some online companies may assume your a business if you have purchased something more ‘commercial’
I have an EORI number for the UK…as I often move goods one way to the UK for work.

id speak to the company and quote them the legislation. you may have to purchase elsewhere otherwise.
or just get one ! its easy, costs you nothing at all…its just another Brexit thing…

Okay I’ve finally --doh! – remembered to c&p original message.

you are right.
you do not need an EORI number if your moving goods for personal use.
you only need one if your moving goods commercially.

Thanks for confirmation!

some online companies may assume your a business if you have purchased something more ‘commercial’

Well, they’re in fact a MANUFACTURER would you believe it in the UK! Who’da thunk it. Of agricultural, construction, forestry toys. Heavy, man stuff.

I have an EORI number for the UK…as I often move goods one way to the UK for work.

id speak to the company and quote them the legislation. you may have to purchase elsewhere otherwise.

Yup. Just had quote from Fr firm €550 delivered. The transit of €80 included is about the same the UK firm would charge. And the Fr firm is 90 mins from here.

or just get one ! its easy, costs you nothing at all…its just another Brexit thing…

Yeah, mebbe. But unless you’re a company you won’t have the different other things they require – co name, other numbers.

Thank you a lot. Et Bonjour.

glad you got it sorted JC

you dont need a company name to have an EORI - anyone can get one.
and it may prove beneficial if you frequently buy from the UK.

my UK EORI number is a personal one. yes I buy goods for work through it too, but also anything I need to have in the UK. im not uk VAT registered, so just a ‘normal’ person buying online. although my wife may argue that statement !

glad you got it sorted JC

Let’s not speak too soon! All that I’ve got sorted is that the Frog and Rosbif govs say I don’t need one. That suits me but maybe not the UK firm. Maybe they know something I don’t know! Imagine the pallet arriving at the jolly ol’ douane and a bad hair day person says…Nah.

you dont need a company name to have an EORI - anyone can get one.

Hmmm.

and it may prove beneficial if you frequently buy from the UK.

Hmmmer.

my UK EORI number is a personal one.

AAAH! You have a personal, to wit non-business one??!!

yes I buy goods for work through it too, but also anything I need to have in the UK. im not uk VAT registered, so just a ‘normal’ person buying online. although my wife may argue that statement !

Well, let’s not get into arguments with her …or any woman. We know who’ll win.

Right, so just for the fun of it, and instead of doing some work, I’ll try TRY to apply for one. First I’ll try from the UK side – in English, wot. I hope. I’ll feed back in case others need it. I can predict questions for which I have no answers – like Name of company, etc., which I’ll leave blank. They’ll be red asterisk so I’ll invent something… or stop.

Bon & Jour

perfect…last thing…as I MUST do some work…
if you ( the receiver of the goods) are in France…then you must have a French EORI number…it will begin with FR…
enjoy…

Ah, THANK YOU!!