EU Citizenship

For those of those living in Europe and wanting to remain part of Europe, please find below a link to a petition for creating a EU citizenship status.

1 Like

Pretty sure that I signed that at the time, as it is one of my bugbears that a vote in which I was not allowed to take part in took away my (to me) most important citizenship.

But, water under the bridge now so I have turned again (first enquired back in 1999) to the subject of French citizenship. I have looked at the info available and it seems to me that some requirements have changed, no longer the need to provide parental and grandparental documentation, only personal ie. birth certificates translated into French.
Can this be so? It was one of the reasons why I was put off before, 100+ year old documents seemed beyond my capabilities, or pocket.

Also, although I took and passed the language test and was then told that it wasn’t needed for over 60s, as my certificate is now out of date and the rules have changed I will have to do it again. Trouble is my comprehension is worse, possibly due to failing hearing, but I think I could scrape by. But, most of those I know who have naturalised are couples and, as there is no chance of my wife passing the language test, how will that effect us? Would she have some rights on the back of my own citizenship?

Does this help?

You need to have something showing your parent’s birth date/place but grandparents are not required thankfully.

Given that my mother and father were both born over 100 years ago, and documentation destroyed in WWII I was only able to provide their marriage certificate which was accepted.

I suggest you go through this simulator which will tell you exactly what documents you need. Birth/death/marriage from UK are around ÂŁ11-ÂŁ15, plus around 20-25€ for certified translation. Language test I think starts around €150 for the one that last 2 years. Timbre fiscal 55€. A mountain of photocopying of tax documents, house deeds, carte de sĂ©jour, passport, etc

I applied but not OH. However I had to provide his brith certificate (translated) too.

2 Likes

Great simulater, I did it for fun and would need less documents now. I had to get copies of my parents birth certificates and get them translated. They also wanted a lot more documents concerning my kids and other half (all French by birth). There again, this is a general list and I believe that indivisual préfectures or immigration centres (my case in the midi-pyrénées) change the requirements as they see fit!
Go on, David, give it a go, nothing to loose and everything to gain :wink:

Go for it @David_Spardo ! I’m right behind you :smiley:

Thank you for those useful links @Fleur and @JaneJones

1 Like

We are in almost the same situation as yourself David. I could take the test, but Jim certainly wouldn’t pass, even though his French has improved after being here for twelve years. mHe too has hearing problems and his ‘ear’ for language is not good.
I found it extremely unpleasant that the rule for the over 60’s was done away with after Brexit.
Quite honestly we really feel that there are not the politicians that we would want to vote for, either here in France or in UK.
Self servers all.