EU law now nearly fully in use in France. Other countries still falling behind, record number of people no longer needing translations in France

Linking a few of the documents relating to the laws on document translation services no longer being needed in France.

fact_sheet_public_docs_en.pdf (453.4 KB)

France is for once in the lead when it comes to accepting Uk documents now untranslated well ahead of the official date when they should have been.

While as usual the arms and legs and fingers are behind in the system when pointing this law out it soon becomes accepted by whichever body you are dealing with and its accepted. No more expensive translation services needed,

just go armed with these documents.

When is the official date of acceptation? The press release is dated juin 2016 but I couldn’t find an official start date.

Prochaines étapes: les États membres disposent d’un délai de deux ans et demi à compter de la date d’entrée en vigueur du règlement pour adopter toutes les mesures nécessaires qui permettront la bonne application de celui-ci à la fin de cette période.

it says in the documents 2 and a half years but its accepted for everything now in france and while its a pain to get them to understand france has already adopted the law a little bit of gentle words seems to do the trick. I have used my original documents the last 3 times including getting married and applying for my citizenship and suprise suprise cpam requested documents again and they accepted it in english also.

Most translator services know of this law but don’t tell people as for them its a loss of business revenue. I was told about the law towards the end of last year by a professional translator when they asked me why i’m translating it and they said to me but you dont have to franc is already accepting all documents within the EU.

What I am trying to get to is the date of entréee en vigueur du reglement.The two and a half years is niether here nor there if the date is from today for example

the date started in june 2016 so fully in force in all eu stated by dec 2018, its simple math as the form is dated june 2016 and gives the implementation 2 and a half years. BUT it is already in use in France which is my point. no idea about other countries. it was technically passed in may 2016 though and original date was nov 2018 for full implementation it gav member states that 2 and a hallf years to put in place a system which france did pretty quickly its just taken time for it to trickle down the line that its acceptable to bring untranslated documents now.

on 6 July 2016, the European Parliament and the Council adopted Regulation (EU) 2016/1191 on promoting the free movement of citizens by simplifying the requirements for presenting certain public documents in the European Union and amending Regulation (EU) No 1024/2012. This Regulation will apply as from 16 February 2019, and while it aims at facilitating the authentication of public documents and reducing cost for their translation, it will not deal with the recognition of the effects of these public documents

This is what I found , which begs the question does the two and a half years start from 16 feb 2019.
I am quite capable of doing the maths by the way

when you look at all the french documents direct from the eu commision website it states june 2016 and 2 and a half years it will be fully implemented. the law took effect in june 2016 so that is when it began. if they decided on feb 2019 great.

My point is that France is now already using this in all effects, including citizenship. It was a point of information not a debate on when legally countries have to comply by, FRANCE is already complying as it is already implemented. Hope that makes it a bit more clear for you.

Read the link in your own document.

you are missing my point, I am not going to get into debate over dates. in France its already being used and that is all that matters to me. The dates in the document mean nothing in france as they are way ahead of scedule and are already in full swing.

fact_sheet_public_docs_en.pdf (453.4 KB)

European Commission - Press release
Final adoption of new rules to reduce red tape for public documents of citizens
Brussels, 9 June 2016

Today, the European Parliament has adopted the regulation proposed by the Commission to reduce the costs and formalities faced by citizens who must present a public document in another EU country.

Currently, citizens who go to or live in another EU country must obtain a stamp to prove the authenticity of their public documents (birth, marriage or death certificates, for example). Under the new regulation, they will no longer have to obtain this stamp or to comply with the relevant administrative formalities when submitting to the authorities of a Member State of the EU a public document issued in another Member State.

The regulation deals only with the authenticity of public documents, so that Member States will continue to apply their national rules as regards the recognition of the content and effects of a public document issued in another country of the European Union. Union.

" This is good news for those who go to another EU country for example, study or work ," said M me Věra Jourová , European commissioner for justice, consumers and gender equality. " It is not uncommon for these people to go through lengthy and expensive bureaucratic procedures to present a public document so that they can, for example, get married or work in their country of residence. Today, by putting an end to these administrative formalities, we are facilitating the movement of people in the European Union. "

The new regulation will put an end to a number of bureaucratic procedures:

public documents (eg birth, marriage or no criminal record) issued in a country of the Union will no longer require an authentication stamp (apostille) to be accepted as authentic in another Member State;
the regulation also removes the obligation for citizens to produce in all cases a certified copy and translation of their public documents; to avoid having to have their public documents translated, citizens can also attach, as a translation aid, a multilingual standard form, of which there is a version in each language of the EU;
the Regulation introduces safeguards against fraud: if a receiving authority has reasonable doubts as to the authenticity of a public document, it may check it with the issuing authority of the other country through the already in place, the Internal Market Information System (“IMI”).
Next steps : Member States shall have a period of two and a half years from the date of entry into force of the Regulation to adopt all the necessary measures which will allow its proper application at the end of this period.

it states in this from the 9th of June they have 2 and a half years. point being is Its here in france already so the dates do not matter here, in other countries maybe but in france original english german swedish or where ever are accepted in their original language no need to translate. Which is what my original post was all about not to be picking on what dates the rest of the world has until.

It’s not been my experience with recent applications for a carte de sejour permanent, a naturalisation application and even a university bourse application. For the latter I not only had to have all birth and marriage certificates translated but also the residence and contact order for my son, to prove I officially had residence of him and was allowed to bring him here - even though that ended at age 16 and he was 18 when we applied for the bourse for him.

because while its accepted most people down the food chain do not see it, same as I was continually asked for an s1 one form for 2 years when they are no longer relevant to anyone not retired. If you are polite to them and point out that doccuments no longer need translating they make some calls and then accept them in original format.

I have not presented one translated document in nearly 18 months, that including re registering my business, getting married and a few other things.