EU license or non-EU license when buying car insurance

Renewing my car insurance and shopping around a bit as my current insurer as increased the premium considerably despite me never making a claim.

I tend to use the comparison websites (lylynx, meilleur taux etc). I obtained my license in the UK before 2016 ie. it was a considered an ‘EU’ license at the time. But can I say that now? I initially put in ‘non-French non-EU’ license and it only came up with two quotes from two companies. Then I tried ‘non-French EU license’ and it gave me a good few more quotes and at a cheaper price too.

Has anybody here (British) taken up a new car insurance policy since Brexit? If so, what type of license did you declare? Did you get any information about it from anybody?

Fabien has helped so many of us with insurance of various types. He and his team are familiar with the recurring issues facing Brits and I’d suggest you look at contacting him using the insurance link at the top of the page. He’s a good bloke

Comparison sites aren’t going to help if complications or changes arise later either, whereas Fabien has a track record here as a good ethical broker that would.

May I ask the delicate question are you now a resident in France holding either a 5 or 10 year carte de Sejour ? If so your British licence needs exchanging within, I seem to recall, 6 months before its expiry. Should you commit any driving offence you will be required to exchange it free of charge immediately. All information is available on line. Personally for insurance purposes and administration I would prefer a French Licence post Brexit

If you are seeking insurance in france it is non-French, non-EU surely?

Yes I’m resident with Brexit CdS. Current license doesnt expire for a long while but this is more to do with where the license was obtained, ie. where I passed my test, I imagine.

(As a side note I’ve has numerous ‘contraventions’ but have never been asked to exchange my license for a French one)

This is the question i’m asking. I would think you’re right but on the other hand I obtained the license while UK was in the EU

If you’ve had points deducted then you’re obliged to exchange it, they don’t need to ask.

Shame that they felt it was necessary to change the system to online,all these queries could be sorted out in a few minutes at the Préfecture under the old system,still,they call it progress.

@tc123
I am also a fan of Fabien… and back the suggestion that you contact him.

However, if you do wish to discuss things face-to-face… why not visit the Insurance companies in your local town ???