EU visa again

Has this been asked before? Are there passport/visa checks on trains that cross EU borders?

Not routinely, but spot checks can take place.
Rigorous passport and visa inspection is applied at points where non-EU residents can enter the EU.

Thanks Brian.

What happens do you think if I risked it without a visa, and was caught? Is it just a matter of being turned back, or is one hauled in for questioning…? (There is a car of interest and contemplate leaving tonight…)

Why would you need a visa to visit the EU for a few days to look at a car?

Thats what I was wondering too especially if you already live in France.

I thought with this brexshit thing, UK passports are outside everything and we need visas to visit the EU…no?

As long as you carry a France Carte or Titre de Sejour card, you can wander in EU up to 90 days within a 180-day period. Just also carry your UK passport as well because it defines your nationality, as opposed to residency.

1 Like

I am not keeping up with things maybe…I see this on the Austrian Govt web page:

Does this mean that we with a carte de sejour are free to travel within the EU??

Thanks Susannah - I posted at the same time…

OK, I am definitely way out of touch then :rofl: thanks so much for putting me right!

Off to waste some more money :joy:

These too may help

Temporary Reintroduction of Border Control…timestampMTY5MTM5ODI0MTM3Mw…

Full (exhaustive!) list of border EU controls in 2023

That second one indicates border checks are tightening to control the flow of illegal immigrants. Won’t stop you but may mean a slower border crossing in places.

Bon voyage!

1 Like

Thanks again Susannah!

This all now makes me ask myself: why bother with trying for French nationality…? I was only considering it to avail of travel within the EU - but with the sejour titre card, totally unnecessary, yes?

Now I know why all those years ago, school reports always said things like head in the sand and not keeping up :rofl:

1 Like

You will need the travel Etias from next year though.

2 Likes

It is your UK passport that gives you the visa waiver isn’t it? The only purpose of your CdS is to stop your passport being stamped when you return to France. Not that that matters either!

A CdS is not a travel document so you must have your passport. And if stopped that’s generally all they look at.

1 Like

Last time I flew to the UK I gave both and he was only interested in the CDS which he scanned in. When I flew back via calais, the Gendarme and the Customs guy only wanted the CDS. But yes always have the passport with you.

So if we had to visit the UK for say, funeral, would we british passport holders but french legally resident with CDS have to get such a thing as Etias whatever that is?

No its for us UK lot to visit any schengen area from next year (date yet to be announced AFAIK.)

In my case I shall be applying for citizenship for two reasons:

Firstly, and most importantly for me, I feel like France is my home now :slightly_smiling_face:

Secondly, currently I’ve no intention of moving away from France but who knows if that’ll change in the future. My CdS entitles me to live and work in France but not elsewhere in the EU. By having dual citizenship I can reinstate some of the benefits that were taken away from me by Brexit.

8 Likes

My sentiments exactly!

thanks for the confirmation, I have a little notebook with lots of useful info when I glean it, so will add that to the relevent page in case I forget. Brexit has caused so much confusion which to many, they can’t understand or accept after never being so restricted before they started to travel and to others, its straightforward and easy to understand.

Be warned it may take getting on for four years currently as they are really restricting the number of applicants they process. My son has been waiting, had the final interview at the regional prefecture, the gendarme visit and everything for over 3.5years and he has lived here for 30years and is a fonc and speaks fluent french as went through the education system here.They told him at the prefecture they were cutting back on applications due to the time they take to process so you will have to be patient.

1 Like