European Elections - Update

I have just heard that there is “possibly” a prolongation… allowing folk to get themselves on the electoral Roll at their Mairie…for this year’s Elections.

Seems that some folk may be on the “Local Election” Register for the Communes … and NOT on the “European Election Register”…

Normally, the cut-off date is 31st December the previous year… BUT… if you have any doubts, please check at your Mairie that you are on BOTH Registers…

The European Elections are this year… and I would hate anyone to miss out by default…

@Jane_Williamson I thought of your conversation with the Maire, when I heard this news today… :thinking:

I thought there was only one register - I’m sure I only registered once, and i definitely voted in the Europeans last time around (didn’t really know who I was voting for though, beer drinking party with any luck🍻)

Mark… when you originally registered… they probably “did you” for both sorts of Elections…

Sadly, some folk only registered for one…

Before Christmas, I accompanied Brits to the Mairie… and I can confirm… there are 2 Registers… (in fact 3 Registers… but non-French cannot vote in the Government elections… hence we talk about 2…)

this was the topic of discussion today at the Mairie, as it had been discovered that a local Scottish gentleman was only registered to vote in the Local elections… and someone was sent off after him… to try and get him registered in time for the Europeans later this year… I saw him driving by, but he just answered my rather frantic wave with a toot-toot…toot :thinking::roll_eyes:

Un électeur européen a seulement le droit de voter en France pour les élections européennes et les élections municipales.

Pour pouvoir voter, il doit demander à être inscrit :

sur les listes électorales complémentaires pour les élections européennes et municipales
ou seulement sur la liste électorale des élections européennes
ou seulement sur la liste électorales des élections municipales

Gilet Jaunes are putting up their candidates…