Eurovision 2022 - what's happened?

It’s sad to find myself wondering (like many others it seems) … Who will be profiting “on the side” when a country (or a major player) “gives help” in a big, big way :roll_eyes:

I’m well aware that it isn’t only the UK that is helping Ukraine. However, BJ has been at the forefront of many interactions and our supply of the NLAW anti-tank weapons has been credited with much of the success in the early weeks of the war. The UK has spent the years since the Crimean annexation in 2014 training the Ukranian army to be ready for this invasion. A street in Odessa has been named after Boris, and you will have heard Vladimir Zelensky praising him on many occasions… I imagine he knows what he’s talking about, or are you going to scoff at that too @vero?

I am not scoffing at the fact that the UK has helped Ukraine, I am scoffing at the thought that juries from other countries participating in a popular music contest would give a singer from the UK extra points in order to honour the prime minister of the UK for his help to any particular country, rather than because the song is good and well performed. I don’t think Volodymyr Zelensky’s opinion of Boris Johnson has anything to do with it.

What next, UK runner comes in eg 5th in world championship 400m race but oh look we’ll give them the gold medal because we like the PM?

2 Likes

This is obviously key. It might hold water if it was the public vote, the public vote for songs for all manner of reasons. The chair of the U.K. judging panel for this year happens to be a long term friend, actually several of the people in the last few years have been, and I can honestly say they’re all experts in their field. Eliot has sold hundreds of millions of records and had more number ones than I’ve had hot dinners. I’ve no doubt he voted on what he thought was the best song, nothing else, and while I don’t know all the judges of all the countries but I certainly expect the majority of them to take it as seriously as Eliot and choose the best song in their opinion, not which politician of another country they like most…

2 Likes

Did you see the street they named after Johnson?

2 Likes

That what he would like to tell you.

Can you honestly say if Johnson was not neck deep in the mess he has created about parties, incompetence & corruption he would be the slightest bit interested - it is the equivalent of “Thatchers Falklands”.

I wish they’d show some repeats of Terry Wogan hosting Eurovision… that was always good fun…

1 Like

Nothing to do with the Major Incompetent Johnson thinking a) he can strut around pretending he’s Winston, b) he’ll get another pointless trade deal, worth big all to the UK, c) if all else fails he can divert asylum seekers to help with the re-building program, most important of all he and his cretinous buddies can profit from the situation. Are you sure the streets named after him & not Yeltsin?

I hope you’re not expecting a response to this nonsense.

Given various contributors responded with, for the best part, kindness and genuine willingness to engage at the abject nonsense you posted in your OP, and subsequent comments, that’s rather ‘pot and kettle’. Just because we disagree with something doesn’t mean we shouldn’t go in with open mind and open heart to try and understand others, even if it’s an obvious load of claptrap like the whole of the Eurovision region voted for the U.K. entry because of Johnson’s actions towards Ukraine.

1 Like

Heaven forfend!