EV - buy or wait?

This is worth watching:

1 Like

Yes they are and that is fantastic and a spin off from formula E. Self charging utilising a petrol powered engine is just deceitful use of a spin on wording.
Big corporate lies.

Dear old Quentin - haven’t seen anything that he has done in ages.

Interesting video - very empty charging stations, presumably that won’t last as EVs increase their penetration into the market.

I’m not that bothered either way (and am not quite sure why you are getting hot under the collar on this one) - as I said I can see that, done right, there would be advantages over ICE plus mechanical transmission. I’m not planning on buying one.

My problem with EVs at the moment is predominantly one of price, and the fact that the models I am most interested in (i4 M50, EV6 GT) are simply not available yet.

I was impressed in the video that the moment he got off Eurotunnel he was surrounded by vineyards - Pas de Calais Is known for vineyards! (I actually recognised the road being the motorway from Bordeaux to Libourne)

I note there seem to be charging stations in Folkestone that one can use while waiting - there is an “Instavolt” 50kW station at Portsmouth but with room for just two vehicles which, frankly, is a bit naff.

That might explain why Quentin chose to go from the Midlands to Bordeaux via the tunnel when Portsmouth-Caen actually makes more sense for that journey, or even better Portsmouth-Cherbourg on the Normandie Express.

PS: Instavolt charges 40p per kWh - let’s say enough to get an EV 3.5 miles - about 70% of the cost of diesel if you get 45MPG - not that impressive if one of the advantages of EV is supposed to be lower running costs.

1 Like

Haha dont mistake enthusiasm for hot under the collar.
Out last night with a mate and we were going over some of the BS the world and its large corporations are spinning on the public, dont think I have quite got over our cynicism

1 Like

But a lot of stations are not that price so its the occasional expensive rapid charger with the much lower cost of the usual home charged journeys that has to be thought of.
Analogy, why eat out, its expensive and takes time when you can cook at home, it’s an occasional cost. If you eat out everyday your cost of living is very high.

Phillip is too sweet. Watch Guy on his journey from Grimsby to J o G. 240 quid leccy bill there and back. 27 hours journey. for 1100 miles. Btw, similar diesel would have done the trip in half the time and half the cost and much less hassle.

See here. Guy's DISASTROUS long electric car journey | Guy Martin Proper - YouTube

I am not convinced no matter what the SF spin doctor comes up with.

Half the cost maybe but it’s about a 550 mile journey - that’s going to take 10 hours each way whatever you drive.

I don’t think that’s a great analogy - sure, if you potter around on your daily commute why go to an expensive public charge station, it’s not as if it supplies “better” electricity.

It’s more like not being able to go away because the only coice is the expensive hotel restaurant or the even more expensive high street restaurant.

The take home message, having looked at the site, is that if I want a > 300 mile range I need deep pockets and a large dollop of patience.

I am not surprised, if you watch biased programs without the ability to filter out nonsense.
Yes the charging networks need improvement and its bloody easy to go to a not working charger as these are also listed on most of the charging apps, really good to film if you are trying to make a point.
Yes Ionity take the piss well known in the EV world, rather like motorway service stations there are several options however, the first would have been to use the Hyundai account to recharge which means 52p or 29p per kw, non account holders get mugged (Guy).

https://www.byri.net/2021/05/18/hyundai-unveils-preferential-rates-on-ionity-charging-stations/

At the moment but consider the 220-250 mile range and things improve a fair bit. Don’t loose hope our Chinese friends are chomping at the bit to bring their offerings which are likely around 26-35k.
Whilst the e-niro is still a good bet things will improve as automakers get their act together and the alternative batteries get closer to mainstreem.
As I said before how the horse and cart owners must have laughed at the first cars but they have improved a long way.

I am looking to have a test drive of the Kia EV6 - this is a tempting proposition.

Likewise - I’m told the local Kia dealer will have one available from the 20th (sadly I’m not available until the 2nd week in November).

Please let me know what you think, sadly I need to find some new work before I consider going for a test drive oh and quite likely moving house to.

Don’t get me wrong I don’t think I can afford it - I am interested to know if it is as good as the hype. The possibly in a year or 2.

1 Like

This is one of the big things for me - EVs are still not cheap however you look at it. They are now price competitive with ICE vehicles but only at the upper end of the scale. If I’m spending that much on a car ideally I’d like it to last 15-20 years or longer; I can’t afford a second bite at this particular cherry although that is also true of buying a new infernal combustion engined car.

Also while I’m not as convinced as Corona that new revolutionary batteries will be along in the next 2-3 years (as I think I said before 5 years at least, maybe 10). However they will arrive and the question becomes “how revolutionary” - will we see practical 200kWh batteries which would mean real world ranges > 400-500 miles. Will we see lighter batteries so cars won’t need to weigh over two tonnes? Will I be feeling pretty sick watching my neighbours new EV which can easily eat the distance required for my trips to France in one sitting while I’m forced to (expensively) charge three times on the way down?

Right now it seems all and any decision is going to be the wrong one.

Yes, like in the UK Gazole Non Routier (GNR) is red. And you hear the phrase “rouler au rouge” used for underhand activities.

1 Like

I doubt they will get that large unless a tech breakthrough occurs. The limiting factor with lithium Ion is internal heat wilst recharging as I am sure you know. The lithium ion phosphate of the BYD blade batteries looks like it could charge quickly without the heat risk and internal fire issue. A bit like the Audi, not very efficient, average size battery but it charges very quickly so stops are shorter.
The lithium sulfur batteries can charge very quickly but only for a max of 500 charges, they recently added sugar (I kid you not) and are hoping to gain 1500 charges but this is still in the laboratory stage.
I dont think I would invest big money if I had some haha for a couple of years at least but somthing like a e-niro doesnt cost as much and on some kind of finance might work for a 3 year deal.

I think it will a long time before I have one, we have just done the journey back to Scotland, two cars one Mercedes R320 five up with luggage, the other a Peugeot 1.6 5008 three up with luggage and dog, 40mpg and 55mpg in 16 hours in one and 20 hours in the other, now having done the journey twice in a Tesla I will stick to my diesels just now, electric is just too expensive for me and not viable just now.

1 Like