EV - buy or wait?

I’ve just cancelled my order for the Volvo EX30. Because it hadn’t been released, I ordered it subject to a test drive and then really didn’t like it when I tried it.

It wasn’t the electric bit, that was great, but I couldn’t get comfortable in the seat (not like a Volvo of old) and I find the driver “aids” really very intrusive. The steering wheel was constantly bobbing about and I was forever being warned to pay attention when driving in a straight line and looking straight ahead. If I had the temerity to look over at the traffic light (to check that I could see it) as I was pulling up to a red light, it would have a fit.
All of it could be turned off but the control is three menus deep and needs to be turned off every time.

I just couldn’t get on with it.

I’ve not personal experience of the vehicle other than from the outside, which was the aspect under discussion. However having gone from Mini (BMW) infotainment to Skoda (VW) I’d agree with that part of your post. It was obviously designed by someone who didn’t expect to need to use it while driving - and that would apply to every other maker that puts key controls onto a touch screen instead of giving them either their own physical controls or a selection system not susceptible to a bumpy road and distraction.

1 Like

We had a panda for a while - very effective if slightly hard work (as you’d expect for a 900cc car). The rear seat sling was interesting but horrible.

The front seats were not much better, deck chair style

Appreciation of design is bound to be subjective, but the design language of Tesla looks to me as if it were developed by a 7 year old to suit the aesthetic ideals of a 5 year old.

On a positive note, Tesla’s build quality is up to the standard of a competent 10 year old.

1 Like

I only recall normal front seats in the 2 that I’ve been in, but maybe that was something in the original model?

So, you’re not that keen on it?

Could be, there was a chuckle with the early model.

1 Like

Saucer of milk for Brian!
Their build is way better than the early constructions but social media cant move on, maybe they are the 10 year olds?

1 Like

He nailed it for me, maybe apart from build quality because the Chinese made ones are meant to be OK.

Its quite an old comment and not true for about the last five years. I remember a visit to Vauxhalls plant and was amazed how badly panels fitted

My son recently took delivery of a model 3 - his second. He’s had even more faults on this one than his first one.

1 Like

My nephew is the fleet manager for Autoglass. They have quite a lot of Teslas - he drives one himself - and it was him that made the comment to me about build quality.

But was that panel gaps or something else?

Did they outsource design to Range Rover?

1 Like

General fitment and bits not working. The panel gaps were better than last time.

1 Like

Thats good as my friends new one was much better panel wise so they have improved that. So much tech inside no wonder some things suffer. Another friend with a new Nissan Juke ICE has had the car back at the dealers 3 or 4 times so far and its still not completely fixed.

Wow…

By my reckoning, that’s charging at just under 2,050KM/h…! :exploding_head:

But are they the same watts the Chinese advertise their audio amplifiers at? :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

2 Likes
1 Like