EV - buy or wait?

I confess I didn’t notice that - but the statement itself is easily verified or not.

I know you have done figures before but is this CO2 in isolation, because water vapour from ICE vehicles is also a strong greenhouse gas.
There is also a tiny amount of cobalt in most EV batteries and none in half the model 3.

Yes, it is - but there’s a *lot* of water vapour in the atmosphere already, whereas there’s almost no CO2 so I suspect that the degree of increase for the latter due to human activity is way, way larger than for the former.

1 Like

But also the other nasties like NOX.
Other than upfront cost there really is no justification for a ICE car.

In your opinion of course😀

1 Like

Better that than petrochemical companies or Trump followers.
A chap today was given a model 3 as his new car. He was furious he wanted the BMW M3. He said its brilliant and he wouldnt change back. Just his opinion of course.

As I have said quite a few times, the solution is fewer cars, less travel and more use of shared transport. EV vs ICE is just tinkering.

I’d agree but in this case a single, verifiable claim was made - which is, more-or-less, correct.

Whether it is the right question to ask is another matter - as you very rightly point out there are other pollutants and polluting activities. I’d love to see the bilan, neatly tabulated and with full inclusion of all factors over (say) a 10 or 20 year lifespan so that a rigorous assessment could be made of whether EVs or fossil fuelled vehicles are actually more polluting.

But, sadly, I don’t think that exists.

2 Likes

Whilst I endorse the statement of facts, what is the long term outcome of fossil fuels, why does it not matter that holes are dug in the ground to extract oils. No one cares about the use and mining of cobalt until electric vehicles…

I don’t agree. There is no single ‘solution’. It’s true I think that less travel, fewer private cars and more public transport are more important the EVs - but that doesn’t mean we don’t also need to replace fossil fuel vehicles with alternatives.

2 Likes

The other week I posted 40% of the fuel used is shipping goods around and ships use the dirtiest fuel.

This - and indeed Billy’s view on the importance of less travel, public transport, etc - is back to ‘the elephant in the room’ of climate/ecological breakdown: there are no adequate technological fixes, because at the heart of it are unsustainable lifestyles and economic systems.

Absolutely not.

In fact one of the things that has annoyed me about he whole debate is the fact that, ultimately, we will be forced to abandon fossil fuels as they run out

Heavy fuel oil - wonderful stuff (not) - though I believe “oil” is stretching it a bit as it is so tar-like it has to be heated to get it to flow in the engine.

2 Likes

Autocar: Renault Scenic returns as radical EV with hydrogen range extender.

Another positive story :grinning: pun, yes I am here all week.
InsideEVs : Solid Power Installs Pilot Production Line For Solid-State Battery Cells.

Now that would cause a riot.
Statement needs amending with the word ‘NEW’ inserted.
Diesel and petrol in its various forms will be around for many years after 2035 as cars are only a small part of fossil fuel powered transport.

I don’t think so. I think most people, and most manufacturers, have already decided to change - it’s been fascinating over the last couple of years seeing my more conservative friends change their tune, and indeed television car advertising switch almost entirely over to electrics or hybrids.
I think we’re about to see very rapid change in new car sales figures - which will soon filter down to the secondhand market.

One of my most right-wing friends - second-home owner in our village - sometime tory and euro-sceptic (though voted ‘remain’ in the end) always sceptical about electric - has recently done a u-turn, and was grilling me about which plug-in hybrid to buy, taking photos of mine, etc…
The deciding factor was his workplace installing a free charging point - he has a 30+ mile commute, but with a plug-in, nighttime home charging and free charging during the day he can do it entirely on electric, and reduce the fuel cost by 90% - saving maybe £100 a week on his commute alone at his current local fuel prices - so he could save the extra cost of a plug-in hybrid in less than a year.

So come 2035 we will see a mass scrapage/cull of all existing petrol and diesel cars, a ban on their resale and the instant closure of all garages that currently look after them and of course all the employees that support the industry.
The satement requires ammending from a news grabbing headline to relay the full story.

1 Like

Well no - it obviously refers to new car sales - but even if it didn’t there’s no suggestion of outlawing ownership of fossil fuel cars… yet!