EV - buy or wait?

I think there are always fanboys, and someone who runs a YouTube channel is automatically suspicious!

I suspect the point is that EVs are great for local journeys. The government probably doesn’t want us to use them for longer journeys, and to privilege public transport. So it has little incentive to create a proper charging infrastructure.

And I wonder if EVs are an intermediate stage of the car’s development, like minidisc was for digital music.

Of course he’s a fanboy. He’s also an ordinary bloke and just in it to explore an interest, not to make any money.

I don’t think the government have a clue what they intend to happen. They certainly won’t be around when it happens. Things evolve anyway. I’ve been working in IT since the first desktop PCs came out. Did I think I’d be sitting here talking to you from another country on a handheld computing device that can do allsorts? Definitely not.

Giles Coran is a tosser! He took part in a cookery competion but his wife had to do the cooking because he cant but he pertains to be a food critic. People like him should just shut up until such time as they actually achieve something worth while.
You cannot, neither should you condemn an entire technology because you bought a bad one.
As to charging, yes most governments have failed to engage with the required infrastructure.
Lets rip out 2 out 3 petrol stations and see how those cars get on, would you blame the vehicle or the infrastructure?
Broken down fossil fuel cars seen everywhere but wouldnt make column inches.

2 Likes

Are they smart enough to realise that?

They have first hand experience with having an electric car and having to put up with crap range especially when cold, crap infrastructure, poor investment and people being pushed into change way before the infastructure a is even remotely viable.
So his experience isn’t unique with people changing back to petrol/diesel from electric, they have had personal experience of running a electric car unlike some who are quite blind to the shortcomings at the present times, at times it is like a fanatic preaching to the unbelievers.
You don’t have to be a cook to be a food critic, Egon Ronay wasn’t.

3 Likes

I was quite keen on a Zoe until I realised the older ones are all all battery rental. Think a Leaf is a better 2nd hand option for me, particularly after reading this.

An older leaf is a much better car. No need to reiterate my observations of the Zoë.

2 Likes

I missed them, or forgotten, I’ll have to scroll back!

The Leaf is better in most departments than the Zoe, quality is by far better and I hated the seats in the Zoe, strange shape, no height adjustment and like bricks.

1 Like

The old Zoe had a very short range, very poor build quality. Just a bad car.

2 Likes

A complete Cock, a 4x2 has more intelligence!
So the cock was trying to charge his jag I-pace with its very large battery from a standard 13amp extension lead because too stupid to get a wall charging box. (Estimated charging time, 2 days)
Cock.

1 Like

:laughing::laughing::laughing: you diss EV’s at your peril.

My problem with the *%$^%\€* things is still range.

Door to door UK->France is 310 miles, a reasonably local BMW dealer has in stock a used i4 M50 - which is the EV that I most liked on paper.

Real world range at 70MPH - ~235 miles, so we would need to stop and top up ~80miles worth of charge or about 28kWh.

The “logical” place to stop would be Cleunay Leclerc, which I know has a decent number of charging stations and, so far I’ve never seen them all occupied, but that’s 270 miles driving from home.

The fastest charge offered is 22kW which means an 80 minute stop as well, longer than would would normally take to do the shopping and we usually arrive too late for a late breakfast and too early for an early lunch.

Still not sure I’m ready to spend £66k on a car that doesn’t do my regular “long” journey.

3 Likes

Yes understood, whilst my journey is similar currently a small diversion to get to the nearest faster charger by the look of it or take the A10 which has a few more where needed. Loads of chargers but older slower ones.

We are even worse, 800 miles door to door, we have done the trip in two different Tesla and an Ionic and it vastly extended our journey time, plus the uncertainty over charge points.

1 Like

I suppose at 800 miles you are never going to do it in one without charging - and most EVs will need two charges to get that far assuming starting with a fully topped up battery, I’m not surprised it took you a lot longer than usual.

Admittedly it wouldn’t be possible without a stop for petrol/diesel either - but that will be a few minutes, not hours.

Yes at that distance you are going to be taking extended breaks but should have a break at 2 points even in a Ice car.
I would do the trip in the Tesla because of the deicated super charger, Ionic is great but is the network on the route. Its Governments not EV’s

The range in our Peugeot e2008 is only 300km on a good day, but autoroute chargers are normally ok. The rural 22kw ones are too slow to be useful though. We are only 40km from Ouistreham so no problems here, but we have yet to try the UK.
We have leased the car which seemed to be far the best thing to do for us.
Day to day it is brilliant and fabulous to drive. Long journeys take some planning with Chargemap, but ok so far.

ID4 taxi picked me up for work the other day and driver said he gets 324 miles on a full charge with the larger battery version, that town not motorways.

Once you learn to put your EV range hat on the above means that you would charge at around 150miles, probably on a proper DC rapid charger at an autoroute services i.e. the 28kWh you need wouldn’t cost you much time & I for one would want to stop after 150 miles anyway.

Clearly you could charge up more & therefore have nothing like range anxiety, &/or you could use your Leclerc stop to gain a reasonable amount extra & arrive at your final destination with plenty left.

Charging early also prevents the potential stress of a borne not working - you just move on to the next services.

My real world experience of running about in an early Nissan E-NV200 van (24kWh battery!) teaches me that you can travel reasonable distances with a bit of planning. I’ve taken said van over to the UK twice & had to charge at various point en route on both sides of the channel, & have always planned for broken chargers.

I’ve done the same more frequently with a 40kWh Leaf 2.0, the extra range of which makes things very much simpler.

No one is denying that EVs still have a way to go on range, but most people, most of the time, have no need for massive range. There are predictions that in a more mature EV market cheaper models will be available with smaller batteries, & that hiring a longer range version for those occasional big trips is normal.

1 Like