EV - buy or wait?

In a sort of Hobsons choice way :blush:

1 Like

Apparently BL gearbox production was so bad that most new boxes had significant amounts of swarf, no wonder they had to be “run in”.

1 Like

I could believe almost anything, although there’s a degree of era-specific bad practice.

There’s an irony in that my wife’s mini SD just broke a front suspension spring that went into the front tyre tonight, and had to be AA’d to a local garage. 11 years old, I keep suggesting we move it on, but she doesn’t want to choose something else.

You got an accidental good one. Trust me.

1 Like

New ultra-dense CATL batteries weigh just 2kg per kWh | Autocar.

“EV - buy or wait” … my wait will turn into a buy with delivery in 2-3 weeks.
MyTesla

2 Likes

Renewable energy projects worth billions stuck on hold

At least in part because we have a bunch of self serving idiots pretending to be a government.

1 Like

A large part.

1 Like

So much for them saying the National Grid was all ready for the EV explosion, their targets will just keep on getting further and further back, mind you they won’t be bothered as it will be Labours headache soon.

It is ready at the current level and planned growth. Like a lot of clever people the grid knows its stuff, between the grid and us are self serving Gov and big oil/petro chemical interests. They will propergate any lies to suit themselves.

Corrected that for you :wink::yum:

Just watched “Last Light” Quite scary but could happen and makes you think.

Just out of interest what is the situation in towns in rural France for people on the forum? Are you getting faster chargers or are you still stuck with lots of 22kw? We have one 50kw near us but that is it. (Not a problem as we have our own pod).

Whilst Macron et al published they are ahead of other EU countries there are still huge numbers of 3, 6, 18 and 22 kw chargers around Tours although it is improving.

They were awful cars really but I liked MG when I was a kid so it’s good to see the brand making a comeback…

Now Ev’s are starting to look fun!

It’s great that lots of superfast chargers are springing up on the main roads, but I do think there needs to be improvement elsewhere, especially tourist destinations. Last year we were on the Brittany coast and there was one 22kw and one 3kw. We could sometimes get one and charge while we were on the beach, but it felt a bit anti-social. I get the impression that a sometimes a token charger was opened by a Maire with a flourish and a photo in the paper and thst was that.

2 Likes

Yes I agree, its just the usual photo shoot oportunity most places. Its as if its something unique rather than the replacement for fuelling stations. With sales of EV’s up 20% but 1st generation chargers still not replaced for high power versions it just sends the wrong message.
People switched from vehicle range anxiety to charger placement anxiety as the reason for not adopting. On my route down the deviations required for charging stops is still too far. The stupid thing is ICE refuel in a few mins but the owners of the service stops are trying ever more inventive ways to get people to stay on their premisses longer and buy more stuff. EV’s are the perfect antidote to their prayers. Also do you need fast food when you have 30 mins? Maybe people would get healthier to.

1 Like

The other option on that holiday was a 50kw on an industrial estate. It was sited on a small slip road off a dual carriageway. There were two outlets from the charger on the wrong side for our car and a van was blocking both. We couldn’t reverse out onto a dual carriageway.
You have to wonder if anyone tried out the design to see if it worked. My other favourite was “place card over screen and follow instructions” - which were then under the card.
Obviously 95% of the time we happily charge at home and autoroute and N roads are mostly no problem.