Ever Had a Decent Joint of French Beef?

Careful here Carol, a lot of so called “French” lamb is actually British hill lambs bought in UK and raised over here. Last year, however, because of the appalling weather in UK on the hills in the Spring, there was very little to export.
Any meat raised in France for more than six weeks can be called “French”.

I suppose it’s all a question of taste. Those who prefer British beef and those who prefer French. For my part knowing both, I prefer French.

Like you Brian used to love Ostrich. Used to get ours at Sainsbury's. Re Venison, it is a hanging issue again. Local hunters will hang their meat. One of my gamekeeper friends lets me have a haunch near Christmas, like wise my wild Boar. Perk of working dogs on large estates in the Solange!

I love ostrich, superb meat. Best fresh in Tanzania so far, tried Waitrose some years back but not bad.

We had a leg of venison from our local hunters a while back, in fact there is still some in the freezer. I had to skin and strip it from the bone but it deeelish. Fresh red deer is a treat, pity about the poor beast, so I do them great honour, miles better than any beef.

We used to buy kangaroo at our local Tesco. Once there was a heap of it at the end of 'sell by' so we bought the lot, cooked it and froze that. Something like 4 kilos of the stuff but it went down well.

Not complicated, Simon. How I would do any roast: seasoning, cooking, with different timings obviously, resting, carving and eating. Perfect!

I do that with my OH too...amazing what he finds delish till I tell him what it was and his face puckers! I had Kangaroo a while back...bought from Waitrose I think...and Ostrich...both were very tasty, more like venison, a bit gamey but tender.

We aged a few rib roasts in the fridge last winter. We were aging them in the cool room at the butchers and they closed for an extended Christmas holiday so we brought them back and aged them in our regular fridge using tea towels. It worked well and made a huge difference in tenderness and flavour concentration. I wouldn't do it for steaks though, more for larger pieces of beef.

We have a friend in he UK, a very well heeled friend who doesnt waste his money! He usually shops in Sainsburys and goes to the section where they have food being sold cheaply as its due to be sold on that day. He will buy any sirloin or fillet steaks they have, take them home, remove all the wrapping and place them on a plate uncovered in the fridge for usually 3 - 5 days. He will then seal then in a very hot pan having rubbed them with butter infused with garlic and salt. No spitting of fat as the only fat is smeared on the steaks. They seal very quickly both sides and he cooks them rare to medium rare, resting for at least 5 - 10 minutes before serving. Never had any complaints from us, you could eat them without your dentures in and he swears he has never been unwell from eating these steaks.... he has been doing this for years.

Has anyone tried to 'age' their steaks in the fridge? Bit worried they'll go off.

Just did this. Tried a 'Seven Hour Lamb' -- well not my favourite. But at 15€ vs 50€ bit better (it was alright to be honest, just prefer mine a little pinker).

Well at that price, I can deal with it. And will certainly buy that in the future. The French lamb is not 30-40€ better IMHO. And besides I would always go - 'Oooh look, NZ lamb' at Sainsbury's.

As far as lamb goes I am with you Doreen, I buy frozen legs of New Zealand lamb and its fabulous. I did try French lamb when we first moved out, I gave it three goes, each time it was tougher, smaller and twice the price of New Zealand lamb. A no brainer really.

Agree re: Brussels...in fact would go so far as to say Belgium in total is pretty amazing. We have had meals the back of beyond in Belgium and had food that knocks our socks off. Another world beater in terms of fabulous cooking is Dublin. Reckon we have eaten truly historic meals in Dublin and reckon you can guarantee great food there, be it hotels, large restaurants or little Bistro's.

One of my friends, who is English had this discussion with her French girl friends who were shocked, astounded and unbelieving that she felt beef joints and steaks were tough and chewy in France. They told her she wasnt buying the correct cuts, (being English) probably not cooking it properly and not going to the right restaurants or ordering the right steaks. They took her to their favourite restaurant, ordered steaks for all 5 of them then tucked in. My friend Jo said it was the same chewy meat she was used to...but her friends were all smiling, licking lips and saying yum. I think it may be what you are used to, so concur with Marjorie. When we went to the USA 20 years ago and ate lots of steaks...I couldnt believe how they were all so tender and succulent, not something I was used to at the time in the UK.

John, thanks for putting our link up.

We're thinking about heading your way and doing a Toulouse run in June or July, if that works for you. We're also doing a Bordeaux run in May if anyone that side of the SW wants to try something.

Cheers, Brent.

I'm not really a chunk of meat sort of person unless it's a really good sirloin but it has occurred to me that most French beef is not that good. Probably the reason they invented Steak Tartare, the only steak folks can eat with their teeth out!

All I can say,I am incredibly lucky then !!! the beef from the local boucherie is A1 and always had good steaks in restaurants …

LImousin beef? But go to a local butcher and ask for exactly what you want and tell him how you want to cook it. I've never had any complaint of meat I buy that way although the bank balance often dictates a supermarket 'special' then we have pork!

I thought part of the problem too, is that it is 'illegal' to hang/age beef in France.

Thus why it is mostly served on the rather rare/bleu side.

And to answer the OP, never. Steaks can be alright, but mostly due to a nice sauce.

Thank you John...yes...we live in the Dordogne but have an apartment in the Languedoc so pass not far from his place when travelling between the two. Have heard nothing but great comments about his beef.

Carol are you talking of Brent Curtis http://grasspunk.com/ we do a round trip of 300 miles mad i know but we consider it a day out with the benefit of decent meat to take home, i believe he will do a Toulouse run next year halving our time and mileage, meat must be ordered and quickly as it sells out within a couple of hour of his mail to those on the list