Ever Had a Decent Joint of French Beef?

Agree with sentiments on this thread. We were gutted when we moved here and discovered that the beef was so poor. We are surrounded by cattle farms and vineyards. Even bought at source, the meat isnt great, wrong type of cow Ive been told and not hung and aged, thus chewy and unpleasant. We were very excited to buy Lidl American steaks a couple of years ago. I put details on this site about them and the steaks were hugely enjoyed for the two months that Lidl stocked them. However, there is an American farmer on the site who lives around Toulouse. He brought over his own cattle and sells superb beef (had lots of people on SFN who have bought from him, travelling for hours in each direction). As I am in the midst of moving I havent got his contact details to hand...but maybe he will read this posting!

Couldn't agree with you more - not in 11 years of living here...

Eating out down here in the Motagne Noir area has always been a disappointment very limited its either steak or duck, menus don't change for years in fact i don't think they have ever changed, one restaurant served up two steaks that resembled the soles of a pair of 1914 WW1 boots that had been dug up and slapped on the plate, another served steaks that could be used as body amour they would have stopped an 88 shell , we don't bother now and by our steak from Brent Curtis of Grass Punk its a 6 hour round trip but well worth it as its our day out plus we get to have a coffee and chat with other Brits and Americans on their collection trip, the price is good plus the meat is hung per UK style and you get to see the cows

I keep a few sheep in an area that prides itself on it's (Bazas) Beef, and we find that local beef from the local butcher, in Bazas, is great. However, in general supermarket beef is very poor. One issue, already mentioned, is that meat is not hung; when I first started taking lambs for slaughter I had the abattoir ringing me next day to come and collect as they needed the room. Another point is that Brits tend to eat beef, what is for my and local taste, over cooked. If it isn't near raw it's over cooked. Seriously, we cracked the issue when watching Michael Roux jnr on TV., the secret is very slow cooking for Beef joints. Thank God for the 'Slow Pot.'

Regards Patrick's point about French cuisine, there is a great difference between 'Haut Cuisine', which is in my opinion 'world class' although much of it was developed in London hotels by French chefs, and the local 'peasant' food. The latter I know only too well from meals following gundog competitions.

On wine I will only say this, taste first and buy direct from the producer.

Simple answer Simon - NO! Spoke to my neighbours once and when I asked how long beef was hung for in this country, they nearly passed out!!! It is not hung in France - considered a health risk I think. Also have been told by another local that the best beef goes to Italy. However, I discovered British Corner Shop on this site and you can get a joint from them. And my brother will be bringing a joint over from Devon in a couple weeks. Yum!

I have been "off" beef for 30+ years, since supermarkets in the UK started selling it, never tasted as good, it has to conform to shape, colour, etc. so loses flavour. Very occasionally I buy from Morrisons in UK as they do seem to do more local stuff. In Bedale where my daughter lives there is an excellent butcher who also sells game so I prefer venison to beef there. Here we seldom buy beef joints but occasionally steaks from our local butcher, excellent but hugely expensive. As to French cuisine I've never had a bad meal yet but nor have I in UK, Spain,Italy, Belgium, Switzerland, Cyprus, Egypt or the US. That is all the places we have been, if no one can give us 1st hand knowledge we always study the cleanliness, if the staff look unfrazzled, the menu and our fellow diners. On a handful of occasions we have walked out, fewer times have we complained and they have always been addressed in a way that has not stopped us returning. Maybe we have less discerning palates than some but eating out is not cheap so we like to enjoy the experience so return to where we know will do so

Ha ha!! Had to google that...the Profumo affair was long before I was born! I guess I'm younger than I look in my picture even though it is 7 years old!!

Beef? Try here:

www.boucheriealaferme.com

Aberdeen Angus/Dexter cross beef - lovely. Also sausages, chipolatas, bacon, Cheddar, Stilton & other cheeses, lamb, pork, faggots...

Chris

Now that's something I didn't know. Will have to ask our butcher how old his beef is. Thanks for this.

Well, we seem to have some things in common. My husband is also disabled although he loves to cook when he's well enough. Mostly Chinese food though!! And it's true the 'we' in my post was really me although Stu says he taught me everything I know. Cheeky monkey!

That is so true Peter. The French always cut off every last piece of fat from their meat. But why do they then add that horrible bright white strip of goodness-knows what?! I often ask our butcher for a pork joint with the fat and skin intact and still attached to the bone. The first time I asked he couldn't believe what I was asking for and made me repeat it several times to make sure he had understood!!

Try Brent Curtis at http://grasspunk.com/ you may be pleasantly surprised

Sadly the best meals I've eaten in France have been in an Italian restaurant and a Vietnamese restaurant. My husband now refuses to eat out because, he says, we cook much better at home.

I regularly buy a rib of beef from my local SuperU. I dress it with sea salt, black pepper and Coleman's English Mustard powder before cooking it in the hottest oven on a preheated tray for 9 minutes, turn it and cook for another 8. Next I wrap it in foil and rest it for 20-30 minutes before slicing it. Then I eat the most beautiful, slightly crusted, rare, tender beef you could hope to enjoy with the resting juices poured over.

This looks great but, sadly, way too far away for me.

Oh Simon, now you've got me salivating! I so miss Ruth's Chris!!

The French would probably hate it though, as you know, it is not French so it must be rubbish!

Patrick, I have to agree 100% on all counts.

The frozen lamb is excellent. I usually get mine from Leclerc and when there's a special offer I buy a few. The cheapest it's ever been is 5€95 a kilo!! There is only 2 of us as well and we tend to have it roasted one day and cold the next followed by kebabs and then a big curry that lasts 2 days. I also pick the bones for the cats and they get a couple of meals out of it as well! Usually had enough of lamb by then!!

Fat is taste - lean meat, lean on taste.

Try Sausageland in Piegut Pluviers - 28day hung Irish beef, and the rib-eye steaks are to die for!