Exporting a car back to the UK

We would like to give our old RHD car, now French-registered, to our daughter who lives in the UK. Has anyone done this recently please, and can you advise on the practicalities and costs? We have the relevant info from the DVLA but would like to hear from anyone who has done it.

According to the info I have from DVLC you have to report to Customs and there may be a charge; a UK resident cannot drive the car while it is still French registered, except to a garage to get an MOT; and because the MOT certificate and all other paperwork is sent to Swansea, you need to keep the car off the road until its UK registration comes through, which takes about a month. Does anyone have experience of any of this?