Facebook, Instagram, WhatsApp & Messenger

I replied to your post because I don’t have a clue what you are getting at and your reply added nothing. I can only believe that you’ve heard something that you yourself don’t understand so can’t explain or that you are making a fuss over nothing. If you are able to explain what the perceived danger is I would be glad to hear it. Meaningless words are not enough.

What is this shared information that has been sold?

Well as I only use FB to share photos and brief messages with my friends I can’t see any problems.

If someone is willing to buy that information then they are welcome to it, I have nothing to hide.

After all, in this modern day and age all sorts of information is shared. If you use a bank card for your shopping, petrol or whatever, if you use a store card all this information is stored and shared. Google does the same and I supose many other search sites …

Basically David, they (FB), build a picture of an individual using the selections people make in what they “LIKE” on FB. As an example, pages of promotions, where they visit…all those small features that FB has, someone somewhere click on. Besides basic things like age etc etc. You can have settings that Joe public cannot see… But FB has those records. Now what they term data, is all those things mentioned previously. What they do with it is sell it, for marketing purposes.

I still don’t see how that affects me and why I should be worried about it. I believe SuperU does a similar thing with my store card and I’d hate to think what those autoroute pass things do…

That’s really rude David. Do some research and you’ll see that @anon42626915 is right.

2 Likes

Right about what James? The way I use Facebook doesn’t provide any information that I believe should not be in the public domain. They can do what they like with any data that they’ve generated about me it’s worthless. I believe the post is scaremongering. We live in a digital age and we all leave a digital footprint but it doesn’t matter what size your boots are none of it will have any consequence for the majority of people. In fact sites like SFN have more of a negative influence on my life than FB does because of the way it targets it’s advertising.

He’s right about data harvesting, wether or not it bothers you is another matter. And telling him to get a life was rude.

Having a very quick look at the Dylan Curran link there are loads of things on there that I never use or would ever use.
I suppose if I was a techie and had smart phones etc ; and linked loads of apps between them and what I was doing where I was etc; it would build up a picture of my activities.
As it is apart from FB between close friends, and Sf France most of my computer use is limited to research on the few subjects that really appeal to me…
Going wildly of subject my concerns for the future, won’t be in my time, are that one day when babies are born a chip will be implanted under their skin with all sorts of details, including medical and parents details, now that I find spooky and would worry about.
What do you think ?

It’s a shame that he couldn’t explain why he is warning people. He is uniformed and just riding on a bandwagon. As I have pointed out data is generated and harvested left, right and centre and it’s either something we deal with or take steps to remove ourselves from the cycle. Me, my life is simple, my FB page would offer no clues to my political persuasion, spending habits or even views on Brexit, it’s just data, benign and worthless data.

My main point being that you were rude, if you can’t disagree without being insulting then you should avoid replying at all.

2 Likes

I’ve edited the post. I also believe that unnecessary scaremongering should be challenged.

Perhaps it’s also worth pointing out that there’s another live post on here where the OP has been blatantly rude to a whole group of people but perhaps you consider that to be harmless banter.

Can you give me a link to the post in question please? Perhaps I haven’t seen it.

I’m not sure if it was to my post David was being rude to or not., because frankly i can’t be bothered to re-read.
It is apparent, that depending on the individual; they do not care what FB do with any information they have , and also misunderstand what is meant by the “data”.
In most , or the vast majority of people, I guess it will make absolutely no difference to their daily life, and i count myself as one of them…i dont care what is done with the data regarding my FB
NO ONE, can tell an individual if they should be worried, because NO ONE, except the INDIVIDUAL concerned will know what is there !!
If there is a bugbear with me, is the principal of what they are doing, and the way it is done.

1 Like

No data is benign or worthless - even the lack of data in and of itself is worth something.

1 Like

Facebook is not “merging their platforms”, they want to unify their messaging technology. So that Facebook Messages, Whatsapp and Instagram messages can be sent from one to the other transparently and with end-to-end encryption.

https://www.wired.com/story/facebook-messenger-whatsapp-instagram-chat-combined-encryption-identity/

David, Paul asked me to delete his account today. I don’t doubt that your rudeness and subsequent refusal to apologise played a part in his decision. Please contact me via PM to discuss your continued membership.

2 Likes