Facebook is Down

Yep, not being part of the nasty FB family like WhatsApp no problems and same usability!

Ditto Telegram but keeps your contacts list safe from FB! :rofl: :rofl:

Signal still has a better call quality IMO

1 Like

Configuration changes on the backbone routers - basically meant all the data centres stopped talking to each other and caused the eventual outage. Even the Facebook engineers could not reach the servers so apparently they had to send people into the machine rooms to reset / locally connect to resolve the config issues. A classic example of changes not tested properly or unexpected consequence of such a change.

Basically FB BGP failed. Bigly.

Like I posted early, the team responsible for this have probably been invited to seek alternative employment.

At Apple, this was termed “being promoted from Employee to Customer”.

I can often tell those who don’t have a landline by the little phrases that they send by email…
“Sorry, I didn’t get that - let me go upstairs”
“I have to go to the top of the hill to get a signal”
“Sorry, I moved away from the kitchen window”
“I will call you from the village”
“Still no one time code from the bank”
“Nothing on the app”
“Hang on, I’ll just climb this tree”
“I need to stand by the gate”
“What? I haven’t used THAT number for years” (then tell your bank!)

Personally I prefer the crisp, clear sound I get through my fibre internet box, which is cheaper & faster than Sky Broadband Ultrafast Plus.

My phone simply works!

3 Likes

Very nice. We’re in our 3rd year of being promised Orange fibre broadband. it got as far as the nearby village last year and ground to a halt.

Too far from the exchange for a Livebox, so we make do with a WIMAX link to a nearby water tower which works most of the time, weather permitting.

Orange fibre in France is great!

1 Like