Facial Recognition Cameras - Yet Another Reason Not To Go Back To UK

Bloody well said Anna!

ā€˜Trying to spend timeā€¦ā€™?..just my POVā€¦donā€™t want cajole youā€¦:grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:ā€¦that sounds too much like pressure appliedā€¦ to me. Stop ā€˜tryingā€™ for a moment or two?, and maybeā€¦ let the light in!

Yesā€¦moderation sounds OKā€¦trust, because you mustā€¦but verifyā€¦when you canā€¦

ā€¦my best thought is somewhere between careful awareness and hypervigilance. ā€¦ Its all down to experience of life? What happens when careful ā€¦responsibilityā€¦ is overlooked, discarded.

2 Likes

Come againā€¦?!?

1 Like

I agree and if weā€™re not there already then we maybe have 2 to 5 years to make some noise about itā€¦???

I was reading about the trialling of ā€˜smart uniformsā€™ in ten schools in Chinaā€¦the chip sounds an alarm if the student tries to go off campus or falls asleep in classā€¦they can also pay for lunch through the chip so ā€˜the systemā€™ knows exactly what they buy and whether they are choosing a healthy option or junkā€¦not all parents are happy with itā€¦(and Iā€™m not sure I would be eitherā€¦)

I know Iā€™m probably still thinking about ā€˜the social crediting systemā€™ with my comment but ā€˜the social crediting systemā€™ seems particularly Orwellian to meā€¦x :slight_smile:

Hey now, donā€™t diss silly cat videos, theyā€™re awesome >.>

3 Likes

The problem there is that with current day technology, given enough data points that you donā€™t care about, I can most likely find one you donā€™t want me (or anyone) to have. Given enough noise, thereā€™s always a signal.

2 Likes

Reminding me again of Ricky Gervais in ā€˜Derekā€™ and ā€˜Hamster on a pianoā€™ā€¦x :smiley:

Iā€™m probably one of those who doesnā€™t welcome the means of oppression into my life with open armsā€¦nor into my childrenā€™s and grandchildrenā€™s livesā€¦(nor into the lives of any of the worldā€™s childrenā€¦)

A number of years ago I was falsely arrestedā€¦along with abuse of my human rights my dna was forcibly taken without my consentā€¦

Whilst I came out of the situation relatively unscathed but severely shaken and traumatised it did give me an insight into the plight of so many innocent people the world over who are held in ā€˜holding centresā€™ and prisons for months if not years without chargeā€¦

Youā€™d be pretty surprised how trackable you are as an individual, just from your browser fingerprint - check with https://amiunique.org/ to see whether there are indeed ā€œthousandsā€ of profiles like yours. You might be surprised.

2 Likes

Me neither which is why I avoid anything which phones home into the cloud, would not ever introduce anything like Alexa into my house and use tools to reduce my ā€œdigital fingerprintā€ by blocking as many cookies and ads as I can and still have the internet more-or-less function.

This is somewhat worth a read in terms of ā€œyour dataā€ and the internet.

https://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2019/05/protecting_your_2.html

2 Likes

Ok thatā€™s enough - muted!:roll_eyes:

Iā€™d never have Alexa or similar in my home eitherā€¦I donā€™t have kindle as I much prefer the feel of a book in my handsā€¦x :slight_smile:

My partner is talking about getting me a new ā€˜smartphoneā€™ as mine is around 4 years old and admittedly glitching and creaking a littleā€¦he was talking about one with facial recognitionā€¦(!)ā€¦and Iā€™m thinking that if heā€™s going to go to that sort of expense on my behalf then maybe Iā€™d prefer a pc that I could plug in using an Ethernet cableā€¦x :smiley:

You donā€™t have to enable it - in fact probably best not to.

Interesting factoid - in the US (might even be the case for the UK and France) the authorities can force you to unlock your phone if you have fingerprint or facial recognition setup but cannot force you to divulge your PIN.

1 Like

I havenā€™t got a smartphone, donā€™t have alexa or any other electronic assistant, I donā€™t think I am missing out. I do have an ancient kindle which I use when I travel other than in my car because I canā€™t take enough to read otherwise.

2 Likes

You should! Iā€™ve got most of my office in the attic hooked up through ethernet cables (mostly because I have an absolute unholy amount of devices (10) connected up here). Weā€™ve also got ethernet-over-powersocket to get the downstairs connected. I do run Wifi in the house but apparently thereā€™s a ton of metal in the walls so the signal doesnā€™t carry more than a room, hence ethernet :smiley:

1 Like

That helps with my decision making process Paulā€¦a lotā€¦Thankyouā€¦

Thereā€™s not much on my phone except photos of my kidsā€¦my grandkids and my Border Collies and sunrises and sunsets and flowers and bees and wildlifeā€¦my eldest sends me intimate photos of the aftermath of her latest cancer treatmentā€¦If I was ever asked to hand over my phone then thatā€™s what Iā€™d be protecting by saying absolutely NO WAYā€¦NOT A CHANCE IN HELLā€¦

I think I have thumbprint recognition on this one which Iā€™ve never enabledā€¦so if I do end up with a model that has facial recognition then itā€™s good to know that I donā€™t have to enable itā€¦:heart: xx

1 Like

Blimeyā€¦! I wouldnā€™t know where to start with that lotā€¦! x :smile:

Iā€™ve got my creaky smartphoneā€¦and a creaky laptop for Netflixā€¦and I only have Netflix as my son connected it all up plus pays the monthly subscriptionā€¦x :slight_smile:

When I think about it I only take my phone with me everywhere in case of emergenciesā€¦say if my mom needs meā€¦or in case my car breaks downā€¦my mobile data is always switched off and I only switch it on if I need to make a call away from homeā€¦

I guess a standard handset would serve the same purposeā€¦???

Lots to think aboutā€¦Thankyou Benā€¦! x :slight_smile:

Amateur :slight_smile: - I have a /27 publicly routed block and itā€™s pretty full.

The current tally for the family is: 5 PCā€™s, file/email server, router/firewall, 2 printers, VOIP ATA, 4 phones, 2 iPads, 1 android tablet, 2TVs, 2WiFi APā€™s, Internet radio, 2 laptops, kindle and possibly a couple of other things Iā€™ve forgotten about or which get added for a while for tinkering purposes.

You know that your home network is OTT when you need 30 IPv4 addresses an extra RFC 1918 network and two VLANs to make it all work.

1 Like

Why? Civil liberties? No one will be interested in yo if you are not doing anything wrong. This is there to get the bad people who try and kill people.

Nothing to do with civil liberties-
Why complain about this-
Then say the state didnā€™t do enough to catch the mass killer!