Facial Recognition Cameras - Yet Another Reason Not To Go Back To UK

I am sorry that you were put in such a situation.
It is appalling.

Yes the mobile phone issue wasn’t necessarily reported well. It was all about disclosure and making all evidence available. Sometimes mobile phones will contain evidence essential to a fair trial

1 Like

Andrew i agree. I also have carried id cards since i was 16 when i joined the army, afterwards i carried id living in Germany, Austria and switzerland. I, like those resident do not have any problems with that. I think it sorts out the wheat from the chaff, if stopped by law enfocement and an id is presented, fine be on your way, they are doing their job. Like you say i would also love to see those who think it is encroaching on their civil liberties and freedoms if they had to apply and carry such a document. In the UK you can buy a driving licence, so not much good as a form of identification. In my opinion, the UK is too soft and too liberal in many aspects and if brexit does happen must harden its approach to such matters.

1 Like

Jane, that is a very complicated issue, which the press have jumped on. There is a lot more to it. I am not saying it is the correct policy.
However, do you know how important mobile phone technology is to a serious case? What it can prove or disprove, movements of offender, victim etc, corroborating or disproving their versions of events. Text messages, photos, etc, etc.

2 Likes

Hah, which provider lets you get a /27? I need that… :smiley:

I used to have a 19" rack at home full of goodies but my SO doesn’t really approve of my habit of turning half the house into a geek lair so I’ve constrained it to my office in the attic (which is in the attic for that particular reason) :smiley:

Interesting one. I was reading the other day about your Computer Camera spying on you, which makes one wonder doesn’t? I don’t think I am a Digital Luddite despite not understand much above 20% of what the Hell is going on. God help any poor bastard who gets a glimpse of me in my underpants via my computer - that’ll put the bastard off his breakfast!

I see mini-cameras on the web for small pence even, and say ‘why not?’ But do I REALLY, REALLY want to know everything my wife gets up to? Or anyone else for that matter, but again if it is down to personal security it’s hard to argue against it.

Andrews and Arnold - although you need one of their more expensive packages to hold on to a block of IPv4 these days.

There was a point I semi-seriously considered having a 2nd ISP and applying for my own block but that always seemed way too OTT for a domestic connection; kind-of wish I’d done so now.

At least A&A haven’t made any noises about giving up my IPv4 addresses for the time being.

1 Like

As a matter of interest - what is everyone talking about? Being the last man standing who doesn’t even own a wind-up mobile phone, can I ask what these things are; ?

FCR Technology?
K–b?
IPv4 addresses?
RFC 1918 (Royal Flying Corps 1918??)
VLANS?
a/ publicly routed block?

There was me thinking ‘beam me up Scottie’ was high-tech!

Helen, I am fascinated by this topic as I haven’t got a clue what everybody is rabbiting on about - but I was intrigued by your ‘when my car breaks down’ remark, which I am sure was a throwaway one.

I am trying to recall when a car I owned broke down, and as far as I can recall it was in Australia about 1980 - almost 40 years ago? Thinking about it even more, I have never owned a ‘new car’ unless it was a Company one. I am not anything remotely like a car mechanic with my knowledge on that subject being also of an even earlier vintage.

Have I been extraordinarily lucky with the at least seven cars owned over that period?

1 Like

Face Capture and Recognition.

A toned down version of what Andrew called me.

Networking terms - IP version 4 address - that’s one of those things which have four numbers separated by dots e.g. 8.8.8.8 - they allow computers to find each other on the Internet (bit like a phone number); RFC1918 - a specific range of addresses used for private networks, typically 192.168.x.y (but other ranges are possible); VLAN - virtual LAN (=Local Area Network); publicly routed block - range of IP addresses which can not only reach out to the Internet but also which can accept incoming connections from the Internet. A /27 network is a group of 32 IP version 4 addresses - of which 30 can be used for computers.

Basically the networking stuff is for absolute nerds only, if you don’t already understand the terms you generally won’t need to understand them.

1 Like

That counts me out then!!! :+1::+1:

So, not quite  what we have been talking about but an illustration of how the tools that we accept into our daily lives could be turned to malign purposes.

3 Likes

This is frightening.
Their target seems to be human rights lawyers and civil rights activists.
An unholy alliance between the USA and Israel.
No doubt they will be pursuing some other awful scheme to replace this one.

Possibly…x :smiley:

My vehicle breakdown history was mostly but not entirely before having my kids…so prior to 1988…conversely also before having a mobile phone…!

My ex-hubby’s business relied on a “fleet” of what may politely be considered “bangers”…so many a time if I even managed to get off the driveway to get to work then I very often returned…after a hard day’s graft to a van that wouldn’t start…or if it did start…a van that gave up the ghost some place on my way home…

Having no mobile at the time meant a trudge to find a phone box…usually in the depths of winter…or some kind soul stopping to help me change a tyre…which I do know how to change a tyre but usually there was always the one nut that I couldn’t get off…:grinning:

I have been precariously towed home by our family friend at the time on pieces of rope that have snapped and then when it was tied back on again I was almost on his bumper…!

None of which would be allowed now…

One memorable time was having a front wheel fly off and I’m still not entirely sure how I managed to come to a halt safely…it involved a lot of trying to stay calm and lots of sparking metal…x :slight_smile:

Eventually my ex saw the benefit of having breakdown cover…I guess those early experiences have stayed with me…so as I’m currently alone in Brittany for most of the year then having a mobile phone to call my breakdown service if necessary or my wonderful local garagiste if I’m not too far from home is an absolute essential…x :slight_smile:

I think…not caring…is a very powerful reaction. One that carries a great deal of potential for harm.

1 Like

I just caught this post today and am sorry not to have been on board 'till now - it looks so interesting. It started with Jane saying that because of all the facial recognition cameras she is glad not to be in UK. As many have said, respectfully Jane it is just the same here and I hate it too, you can not escape it . It may , however help the police catch the person who climbed Notre Dame in order to start the fire - or the other persons aiding the ‘lone shooter’ in New Zealand, or perhaps they only use the results of these cameras selectively when it suits them.

1 Like

I did say that sometimes it will be necessary.
My fear is that it will become the norm.
Policing has changed now that targets have to be met and it is the low hanging fruit, all of us, that may have to pay the price.

In the case of the Click report on BBC news it was the police operating the system with new vans fitted out with telescopic facial recognition cameras.

Policing has changed since draconian cuts have meant a lot of it has to be reactive rather than proactive. These camera vans are not going to be cheap they will be deployed where they are needed,there isn’t going to be one on every street corner

It’s apples and oranges to compare policing in the UK and France. Too many people get their knowledge of policing and policing matters from the mainstream media