Faux amis (or close) - STILL falling over them

I have three words that I particularly had reinforced this week -

• spécial - which CAN mean what we would expect but in the two cases I heard it at the Forum on Saturday, it definitely had a strongly negative slant
  • brutal - again CAN mean the obvious but when applied to the peaceful death of someone sitting in their armchair, it clearly meant sudden/unexpected
  • prévarication - doesn’t seem ever to mean what it looks like. Sort of malpractice?

These are in addition to the common one “terrible” which I still have to think twice about whenever it occurs…

2 Likes

Good words Angela! I also like ‘ce n’est pas terrible’.

I found an explanation… but it’s still down to oneself to work out what it really means, depending on the intonation and the context.

The French expression ce n’est pas terrible is a weird one, because the word terrible is a semi- faux ami par excellence, as it can mean either “terrible” or “terrific.” Yes, it’s true—if someone says c’est terrible ! they might mean “it’s great!” or they might mean “it’s awful!”

1 Like

It’s the one I encounter most often. Generally so far, people saying “C’est terrible” have meant “It’s dreadful” but "“C’est pas terrible” meaning “It isn’t great”.

Fortunately, in the case of my first two words, the facial expressions that went with the word were very clear :smiley:

2 Likes

We have a lot of people who are “spécial” in our village. Either as mad as a hatter, or totally uncivilised, or completely thick.

And the une mort brutale (to me) is that it is brutal to you as in a sudden, brutal shock, rather than that their death was agonising or nasty.

1 Like

That certainly matches with what seemed to be meant at the time. I was saying about having had a problem with someone and the response came back that “Elle est spécial”. What you say about death also makes sense.

When we lived in the Creuse, our nearest neighbour (1100 metres away) always said of his neighbour "elle est compliquée " :thinking:

6 Likes

That’s rather nice, I think…

I love ‘special’ I mean how good is that to describe someone wonky!!!

My OH has always had a problem between ‘poele’ and ‘poilu’ even after years he still trips up over that. Gives lots of people a laugh when he’s talking to them though :rofl: :bearded_person: :fried_egg:

1 Like

Not sure he meant it as a compliment …

2 Likes

I imagine not but it’s quite a gentle way of putting it (Or so it seems to me)

1 Like

Bless him. I don’t think he knew

My wife and I discovered the significance of « spéciale » last year when a French friend described to her husband that what my wife had given her to eat was “special”.
It’s now a running joke.

1 Like

The first time someone mentioned my “corpulence” I was rather taken aback, and slightly offended. But they were actually more meaning my build, since I am about a foot taller than most round here.

It can mean carrying excess weight, especially forte corpulence, but doesn’t have to.

2 Likes

When I was an undergraduate in the UK, if someone messed up their final exams and didn’t even get a third, but didn’t utterly fail, I think they got an ordinary degree and that was known as a special.

Spécial applied to people really isn’t flattering as it’s often shorthand for weirdo but it also just means unpredictable or difficult to deal with.
Brutal is sudden and unexpected - you don’t want a driver to freine brutalement, for instance.

Prévarication is eg embezzlement and generally not doing what is incumbent upon you according to your duty and the latter is I suppose where it coincides more with English, but it’s never used lightheartedly as in English.

We often say " intéressant" , spécial is almost unpleasant :slightly_smiling_face:

Your corpulence can be mince which seems very counterintuitive to anglophones :slightly_smiling_face:

9 Likes

Thanks for the enlightenment, Vero!

1 Like

I hope it is useful or at least interesting, I am acutely conscious that I may be boring you all to death and probably teaching my granny to suck eggs.

7 Likes

@vero wow not at all. Nuance is important. Thanks

2 Likes

there were quite a few French words used to describe Andouillette recently… ranging from delicious to disgusting… and, yes, “spéciale” did enter the fray, although in that context I took spéciale to mean "well, it’s an acquired tast :wink: "

délicieuse :+1: … dégueulasse :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

Your input is essential @vero ! We can look things up in dictionaries or work things out from experiences but the nuances are difficult to get hold of. Thank you so much for that :smiley:

7 Likes

Makes me laugh as well - cuisiner à poil!!

2 Likes