Favourite "British" film

There are so many Paul. A couple more obscure that that spring to mind are:

and

Waterloo_Bridge_(1940_film)_poster

Equally what old French movies do we like?

a

and on a more modern tack…

We saw this when it came out and liked it so much we visited the beach it starts on.

I’m sure evert one knows this lovely movie…

And IMHO if one hasn’t watched this then :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Yes you did. It’s just a case of where a post falls. I diddn’t see yours till after mine…

You having your Scottish connections … Powell got so enamoured with Scotland, making his films there - the Highlands and Islands particularly - that he called his younger son Columba, after the saint and sent the lad to Gordonstoun [two years behind PoW] - a dreadful mistake.

1 Like

I’d like to add Genevieve to the list.

2 Likes

Girl on a motorcycle ( not sure if it was british or french)

Ah Marianne Faithful, Sis in law was her understudy

In no particular order:

The Hill
Get Carter
The Long Good Friday
Brazil

Pink Panther, on UK tv at the moment

Quite a few good ones here. These are a few of my favourite’s:
The Cruel Sea
The Quiet Man
Zulu
Went the day well
Ice cold in Alex
The Malta story
We dive at dawn

1 Like

I watched The Italian Job again on Sunday, loved every minute of it again and beat Michael Caine to ‘you’re only supposed to blow the bloody doors off’, much to my wife’s delight, I think. :thinking:

Of particular delight was watching dear old Fred Emny(sp?) wandering round Turin, depositing computer jammers, adorned in full England football supporter gear and muttering ‘bloody foreigners’. :laughing:

Kenneth Moore “Sink The Bismark”
Richard Todd “The Dambusters”
Alec Guinness “The Lady Killers”

Whoops, showing my age!

The Wicker Man with Edward Woodward, whole thing is so atmospheric and so far ahead of its time!

2 Likes

A cat called Bob

A story of a cat and a strayed young man and they found each other and life turned from fragile to stable as their relationship grew.
Bob was adorable

2 Likes

Street cat named Bob, my wife met him everyday when she worked in the west end. Lovely story but a sad ending as Bob died when we were in France.

1 Like

Yes of course it was a sad finale as all creatures cat and human die at some time.
Bob was 14 years of age when he died.
I would love to have met him but his story was lovely.

James didn’t know how old Bob was as he came to him off the street so not sure where you got 14 from. Also, he didn’t die of old age he died under a car on the road sadly.
Izzy x

Some one told me that Bob was 14 and yes I know that he died in a road accident,
I have a ginger cat who looks like Bob and he is holding on to life , He ha FIP and has had it for 3 years and we give him a very special plant based medication,
Maybe Bob was older than 14 but he certainly was special.

Vets can give a fairly good estimate of a dogs age (don’t know about cats) by inspecting their teeth, so maybe that is how? :thinking:

My vet estimated my new squatter-cat The Pig at 3 by looking at his teeth etc.

50th anniversary coming up.

1 Like

The Nicolas Cage version was abysmal. One of my earliest memories of british films was The Quatermas series of films late on a sat night when we were allowed to watch, never been so scared in my life as a child. I watched two original Dr.Who and the Daleks films recently with Peter Cushing as the doctor. All good fun but so dated now with the sink plungers making me giggle.