Favourite seafood

I can’t eat bivalve shellfish - always makes me puke, don’t like cockles an whelks so it’s mainly (rarely) prawns, but only wild caught

Calamar (chipirón in Spain) are my favourites. I seem to have developed an allergy to shellfish over the last 4 years but I’m hoping I can still eat chipirones.

Yes, I’m sure anything is possible Brian.

Wild, they are bloody livid :rofl:

1 Like

Anyone like winkles ?

We used to have them most sundays with other seafood. I used to pick enough out with a needle to make a winkle sarnie sprinkled with vinegar.
I have them occasionally here though most I find are still alive so I can’t be bothered to cook them.

bit like I prefer my beef… on the hoof so to speak :cow:

While I don’t eat any of the above, I do wonder if it was hunger that people started to eat ‘ugly food’ ?

Sea urchins :heart:
Oysters
Scallops
Mussels/clams/razors etc
Cephalopods
Crustaceans :heart:

All delicious unfortunately for them, much less keen on bigorneaux, bulots etc which is odd because I love snails.

1 Like

Well they are often easy to catch, you don’t have to chase an oyster or a mussel… I caught sea-urchins from the age of 5 or 6, all you need is a string bag.

Very very chewy like eating rubber. Taste was fine though. I’ve never had snails so can’t compare but aren’t they usually drowned in garlic?

Different texture, and yes sometimes they are drowned in garlic.

It’s always interesting tasting different chefs’ versions of this, some are very bland or too sharp, others are spectacularly good. I usually alternate each oyster between shallots or lemon juice, just to keep the taste fresh.

Likewise I’m generally not a fan of bivalves or molluscs, I do quite like crustaceans, calamari and octopus but that’s about it - but none are exactly on the daily menu.

1 Like

Around here calamari are very expensive, about six squid a portion…

3 Likes

Isn’t that sick  squid?

4 Likes

Can’t beat the golden oldies !

1 Like

Love squid and octopus.
I can still taste the octopus I had on Lanzarote on the chargrill.
I love crab too.

1 Like

my fav is crab which i buy live and cook with with parsley, leak
i enjoy fairly small squid which i cut into rings after cleaning and lightly tempura them
serve with garlic mayo

3 Likes

I’d forgotten to mention how much I like squid, provided they are small. Thre are a couple of Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall recipes for marinading and frying them that I use when the right size encornets appear in the market…

My daughters have been lifelong fans of tiny octopus or squid, especially the sort you eat whole, with a head/body the size of a grape. Perfect size for a toddler’s hand :blush: They all loved crustaceans and mussels clams etc from the start too but not everyone was a fan of oysters at first, by 8 or 9 they were though.

1 Like