Ferrari Tells Ex-Pats Group To Stop Trying To Derail Brexit - LBC

John Shaw put forward a heart felt statement on BRITISH EUROPEANS. Brexit will happen (like it or not - and I don’t) but due and careful consideration must be given to the families of REAL EUROPEANS in UK and in Europe - it works both ways.

3 Likes

I believe most of us payed tax while been in the UK, which means we should have representation in matters which involves us losing some of our rights re a advisory referendum.

I was fortunate to be able still to vote but would of been really peeved off if like some of you, could not vote either way.

I would suggest if peeps like Nick F do not want us to ‘meddle’ in our democratic country, we should get back all the taxes we have paid into our country and we and him, would both be happy.

( And I’m not an ‘ex-pat’ but an EU Citizen)

Cheers

Martin

I really wish people wouldn’t refer to it as advisory referendum. It was a vote to to leave or stay a member of the EU, majority of British people voted to leave in a democratic vote. I voted leave even though I live in France. I am a British expat with a British passport and am fully integrated in the French system ie, I’m registered with the tax office, have a Carte Vitale etc. I do not believe Brexit will make any difference other than UK will no longer be governed by EU (Brussels)
Britain will regain its sovereignty as an independent nation. British people lived in European countries before Heath took us ( illegally) into the EU so quite frankly I cannot see why remainers cannot accept the result of a democratic vote.

1 Like

But following that logic, how would folks go about giving back everything they received in return for the taxes they paid while they were resident - the kids’ education, family allowances and any other benefits, the infrastructure, law and order etc. If you raised your family in the UK you can’t uneducate the kids and hand back their certificates and degrees, can you? Nick would probably say you had your money’s worth at the time and life’s moved on.

Checked my spreadsheet Anna, they (UK) would owe me money… :slight_smile:

I don’t give a stuff what Nick Ferrari or the leavers say. Why would I - they didnt give a stuff about me and the negative impact their vote has already had, and continues to have on my lifestyle. I’m more than happy to do anything I can to help derail Brexit. I’m a European living in Europe - no brainer.

2 Likes

Are you one of Thatcher’s children. Most of us go through life paying out taxes etc when they are due without actually taking note of our own benefit/deficit. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes, you are correct David, I was 12 in 1979 :slight_smile:

Paid my taxes all my life and lucky that I have not had to take anything back from the state, re benefits. It’s nice to know it’s there if needed but never wanted to go through the ‘process’.

Again fortunate that never needed to stay in hospital, apart from the first moment of my life, where I was in no rush to ‘pop’ out.

That’s why I feel happier that I was allowed to vote, in the advisory referendum, unlike some peeps who were excluded from the vote. As i still pay tax to the UK I would of been so peeved if that was denied to me.

Cheers,

Martin

2 Likes

Simon, I could not put it better than the way you said it! :slight_smile:

Agree with you 100%. I would have had the same opinion if I was in the UK as well. So short sighted of our country.

Cheers

Martin

2 Likes

Where did you find your rose tinted glasses?

2 Likes

Obviously not the same school of insults you went to.

Yep Martin - really short sighted of our country. I put it down to media fuelled (although not media caused!) mass xenophobia - something that makes it impossible for me to understand those UK immigrants living in France voting to leave the EU.

I’ve lost ‘friends’ because of it - although I guess I’m better off because the referendum flushed them out and showed them for what they are. On reflection, some of them were only friends because we shared the same nationality - not at all a good basis for friendship!!

Generally when I come across other UK immigrants I ask myself if I would have been friends with them in the UK. If the answer’s ‘no’ - I steer well clear! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Simon, you are like a man of my own heart.

Understanding people who are less aware due to lack of infomation or education, I can understand why they might have of voted to leave the EU, for reasons which are more straight forward in their mind, which normally boils down to immigration and ‘taking back control’. Not realising the bigger picture of what it would obviously unleash with the xenophobia and nationalism.

I find it more difficult to excuse/understand the more educated and informed who came to the same conculsion and living in an EU country! Im sure they think the same thing about us, calling us deluded, left wing idealists.

However, i would feel a bit of hypocritical arguing the case to leave the EU, while living in one of founding countries, which formed it.

However, for people winning an advisory referendum, they all tend to be a bit thin skinned and always on the defensive. I find that also a bit weird :slight_smile:

Like you Simon, I have also lost friends who could not argue their case re the referendum and for the short term its painful, I’m better off without them.

You are also correct when i hear any English voices while I’m out shopping, i look at them and wonder how they voted.

I’m always wary of UK immigrants, who describe themselves as ‘Ex-Pats’. Normally a warning sign for me :slight_smile:

Cheers

Martin

1 Like

Having a dig at me covertly reinforces my view of how small minded most remainers are and assuming we leavers are uneducated and ill informed is a bigoted accusation which incidentally no longer surprises me. I did a lot of research prior to and following the referendum I also have a degree and take it as a personal insult when people like you accuse me of being uneducated I also served my country as an officer in the British army in several conflicts and as such swore an allegiance to my Queen who I understand also supports Brexit. So keep your childish insults to yourself, with your attitude I’m not surprised you lost friends. Oh and there is a difference between immigrants and expatriate, do some simple research and look it up, it shouldn’t be too difficult even for someone like you.

Interesting…:slight_smile:

IMMIGRANT
ˈɪmɪɡr(ə)nt/
noun
a person who comes to live permanently in a foreign country.

EXPATRIATE
noun
ɪksˈpatrɪət,ɪksˈpeɪtrɪət,ɛksˈpatrɪət,ɛksˈpeɪtrɪət/
a person who lives outside their native country.

So…no discernable difference. It all depends how precious you are…

For what it’s worth - I think the main issue is that those who see themselves as expatriates are simply in denial about actually being an immigrant. God (or whoever!) forbid they be lumped in amongst the Eastern Europeans and poor sods fleeing conflict around the world. That would never do - would it?

I’m a British national living in France - therefore I am an immigrant. I am someone who emigrated from the UK. Not difficult…:slight_smile:

2 Likes

I like many other ‘expats’ i know have property in both countries and someday plan to sell up and return. An immigrant is one who chooses to move to another country permanently, that’s the difference if one wants to be pedantic about it, not saying you are Simon but some here are actually quite offensive in their posts.

I see it’s getting lively in here, please can everyone remember to be civil to each other, no name calling etc?

Thanks

http://www.survivefrance.com/t/argumentum-ad-hominem-survive-france-guidelines/11538

Ahhhhh ok - gotca! So it’s all about the level of commitment to the country you’re living in really,

Whatever term you choose to use, whatever label makes you feel more comfortable - you’re still a foreigner living in someone else’s country, which makes you an immigrant whilst you’re living in France. I know that makes some people feel very uncomfortable - but there you have it! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m here temporarily when my business here is done I’ll return to UK, that makes me by definition an expat.
Immigration is to take up permanent residency with no intention of returning.