Ferrari Tells Ex-Pats Group To Stop Trying To Derail Brexit - LBC

Yep Martin - really short sighted of our country. I put it down to media fuelled (although not media caused!) mass xenophobia - something that makes it impossible for me to understand those UK immigrants living in France voting to leave the EU.

I’ve lost ‘friends’ because of it - although I guess I’m better off because the referendum flushed them out and showed them for what they are. On reflection, some of them were only friends because we shared the same nationality - not at all a good basis for friendship!!

Generally when I come across other UK immigrants I ask myself if I would have been friends with them in the UK. If the answer’s ‘no’ - I steer well clear! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Simon, you are like a man of my own heart.

Understanding people who are less aware due to lack of infomation or education, I can understand why they might have of voted to leave the EU, for reasons which are more straight forward in their mind, which normally boils down to immigration and ‘taking back control’. Not realising the bigger picture of what it would obviously unleash with the xenophobia and nationalism.

I find it more difficult to excuse/understand the more educated and informed who came to the same conculsion and living in an EU country! Im sure they think the same thing about us, calling us deluded, left wing idealists.

However, i would feel a bit of hypocritical arguing the case to leave the EU, while living in one of founding countries, which formed it.

However, for people winning an advisory referendum, they all tend to be a bit thin skinned and always on the defensive. I find that also a bit weird :slight_smile:

Like you Simon, I have also lost friends who could not argue their case re the referendum and for the short term its painful, I’m better off without them.

You are also correct when i hear any English voices while I’m out shopping, i look at them and wonder how they voted.

I’m always wary of UK immigrants, who describe themselves as ‘Ex-Pats’. Normally a warning sign for me :slight_smile:

Cheers

Martin

1 Like

Having a dig at me covertly reinforces my view of how small minded most remainers are and assuming we leavers are uneducated and ill informed is a bigoted accusation which incidentally no longer surprises me. I did a lot of research prior to and following the referendum I also have a degree and take it as a personal insult when people like you accuse me of being uneducated I also served my country as an officer in the British army in several conflicts and as such swore an allegiance to my Queen who I understand also supports Brexit. So keep your childish insults to yourself, with your attitude I’m not surprised you lost friends. Oh and there is a difference between immigrants and expatriate, do some simple research and look it up, it shouldn’t be too difficult even for someone like you.

Interesting…:slight_smile:

IMMIGRANT
ˈɪmɪɡr(ə)nt/
noun
a person who comes to live permanently in a foreign country.

EXPATRIATE
noun
ɪksˈpatrɪət,ɪksˈpeɪtrɪət,ɛksˈpatrɪət,ɛksˈpeɪtrɪət/
a person who lives outside their native country.

So…no discernable difference. It all depends how precious you are…

For what it’s worth - I think the main issue is that those who see themselves as expatriates are simply in denial about actually being an immigrant. God (or whoever!) forbid they be lumped in amongst the Eastern Europeans and poor sods fleeing conflict around the world. That would never do - would it?

I’m a British national living in France - therefore I am an immigrant. I am someone who emigrated from the UK. Not difficult…:slight_smile:

2 Likes

I like many other ‘expats’ i know have property in both countries and someday plan to sell up and return. An immigrant is one who chooses to move to another country permanently, that’s the difference if one wants to be pedantic about it, not saying you are Simon but some here are actually quite offensive in their posts.

I see it’s getting lively in here, please can everyone remember to be civil to each other, no name calling etc?

Thanks

http://www.survivefrance.com/t/argumentum-ad-hominem-survive-france-guidelines/11538

Ahhhhh ok - gotca! So it’s all about the level of commitment to the country you’re living in really,

Whatever term you choose to use, whatever label makes you feel more comfortable - you’re still a foreigner living in someone else’s country, which makes you an immigrant whilst you’re living in France. I know that makes some people feel very uncomfortable - but there you have it! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m here temporarily when my business here is done I’ll return to UK, that makes me by definition an expat.
Immigration is to take up permanent residency with no intention of returning.

Simon,

I think it proves my point that in general, Britexiters can be very ‘thin skinned’ and self centred.

Again proves my point in not thinking about the bigger picture, but just themselves.

They come across very nationalist and have an attitude of ‘I’m all right Jack’. Then they go off to ‘Blighty’, after using the benfits to do business with the help of EU regulations… Something which will be more difficult to do after we leave…

Cheers

Martin

1 Like

Couldn’t agree more Martin. I guess most of them have never been the same since we pulled out of India!! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Can I just say that I am on a crusade for bad grammar and would like to point out that it is ‘might have or might’ve’ and not ‘might of’’. Before you accuse anyone of lack of information or education you should put your own house in order. By the way, I voted to stay, in case you think I have an agenda and I still have all my friends, European and British.

3 Likes

I thank you for your correction, Maureen.

Cheers

Martin

Thanks for that @michael_archer - really helpful. Perhaps you’d care to back up your personal attack with some examples? Via pm is probably best so as not to disrupt this discussion.

Not personal at all old boy, have i touched a nerve?

Just one example will do Mike…

Yours and martin Coopers replies to my posts are a good example methinks.

Well I thought this whole jamboree was supposed to be all about what Brits believed will be best for Britain in the long run, so being nationalistic seems not altogether a bad thing to come across as…

1 Like

Ok @anon29800096 and @michael_archer so in your view I’m ‘over opinionated’ because I express my views which differ to yours and yet, you exoect to be able to express exactly what you like and remain unchallenged.

I suspect your idea of over opinionated is used to refer to anyone who disagrees with you.

Still waiting for an example boys…

Agreed

Everyone stick to the topic, or zip it.

2 Likes