Fibre installation - What's this phone / electric thingy?

We are hopefully about to have fibre installed, Orange have said we should look for where the phone line comes into the house - the house is a recent purchase and we know the previous owners had a phone line an I can find the socket in the living room but I have also found this in the cupboard that has the fuse box.

Does anyone know what this is ? We can’t find where the phone line comes into the house and hope this isn’t going to cause problems with the installation - anyone else had this experience ?

yiou may find this reference regarding the the DTI useful

and also this:

1 Like

It’s just a test socket - like the one in the main room but connected more directly. If you are having fibre installed, the installers will probably expect to find one of those.

Ours was up in the loft. I think they took ours out.

That would probably make sense so it’s a good job @KarenLaV knows where hers is although I think they generally stick it just where the line comes into the house.

In a new build, its usually placed in the GTL (Gaine Technique de Logement).
As an aside, this is a typical schematic of the DTI placement in the scheme of things:

Thanks Graham, Angela & Sue - We can’t find where the telephone comes into the house (we didn’t need a land line so didn’t take much notice of it when we bought the house). At least we can point the technician in the direction of that box. The Quoi préparer pour l’arrivée de la fibre optique ? - Réseau VDI was very interesting too - thanks Graham.

2 Likes

… but you will need a line for ADSL or if the fibre is not direct to the house (FTTH) but finishes the last part of the journey by copper.

1 Like