Fig tree recommendation

We have enjoyed our green figs so much we hope to get another tree tomorrow. Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

We have one of the purple / brown ones, they are wonderful and fruit from August and still going!

Any idea of the name? Did you plant it yourself? We were very surprised to get so many figs after just one year of planting

What’s the difference in flavour and usage between green and purple figs? I would have assumed one became the other :thinking:

Back in June July we waited for our figs to turn black but they didn’t they just disappeared. Some more figs came along in August and I remembered what Stella said in another post about her green figs so we picked the soft ones and they were great. We bought some green and black figs from Grand Frais to see the difference but they were equally tasteless compared with our own green figs

1 Like

Bonne Maman does Figues Blanches jam which I think must be the green type fig, and also the Figues Noir type which is my favourite. So they do seem to be separate.

Fresh, or juicy fried figs, with goats cheese for breakfast, if I’m feeling extravagant with a few drops of 25 year old balsamic vinegar, is my favourite breakfast or light lunch.

2 Likes

[
Figuier Violette de Solliès isn’t green, but it fruits twice year and the figs have a full flavour

We are currently at our other house in Maroc. What you describe is a common breakfast for us here, although we drizzle with argan oil.

3 Likes

We inherited a purple fig tree. For the past 2 years we had a good crop from early September, but for the past 2 weeks the tree has gone into overdrive. Harvesting about 2kg of figs per day. Have made chutney, jam and given away as much as possible to friends and neighbours.
What else can one do (don’t like fig tarte tatin) other than eating as many as possible.

You say that like it’s a bad thing! I imagine it’s quite a pressure, actually, if you hate waste.

Would they freeze? Go into a tajine, with chickpeas? Or try drying them?

I am running out of spaces to store all of the garden produce…
Never get enough of the things we really like and not enough of the other. Exchanging ad much with the neighbours as possible.
As to fig tees - we also had a green fig which never really produced any nice edible figs.
Planted a peche de vigne instead and hoping for some nice crop in the future.

1 Like

Easy - leave them for the starlings, blackbirds and hornets. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Great in tajines , or roasted with pork or lamb and one of my autumn favourites is as an accompaniment to andouillette and aligot.

1 Like

I feed to the chooks!

Lucky chooks!

1 Like

So do I, as well as leaving the really high hanging ones

Trying also to cover with alcohol (a la rumtopf) hoping to have a tasty topping of ice cream by Christmas…

3 Likes

I will try figs rather than apricot - thanks for the tip

I leave the really high hanging ones anyway for the birds and the bees/hornets. Just like excess apples.

2 Likes

That’s impressive!
Could you please share the details of that fig tree: the variety, size and supplier?

We’ll we didn’t get it from anywhere particularly special. It was Delbarde at St Junian. But they do usually have a good selection of fruit trees some bare root. We have had it for two seasons as it was planted in May last year. It was about 5 ft tall and it’s now about 8 or 9. We tried Jardiland in Limoges yesterday as though they are expensive their plants are usually pretty good. But the quality and price were very disappointing so we’ll try Delbarde next week as we like to buy the plants before their leaves drop. The name on the label was just common fig.

1 Like