Firewood remnants

Hi
Im having a tidy-up outside.
Last time we had a firewood delivery, our supplier had to leave the logs in a different spot in the garden from our usual. Now that we have used them all, I need to clear away and dispose of a whole pile of of bark and wood bits. The first thought is to bag them and take them to the decheterie, but that seems rather a shame. If i had a chipper/shredder i could turn them into mulch - but I dont. Also, they are wet so would need drying out before using them as kindling.
Has anyone else had a similar issue?
All help appreciated
F

I leave a pile lying behind the compost bins for the insects to colonise. Rots down in a year, ready for next lot.

4 Likes

OH has a designated spot where he leaves bark and bits… and at some stage, a neighbour comes to take away the bark (for shredding/mulching) and the small bits of wood come in handy for kindling (eventually).

Ask your neighbours if they want any of it…

Our dechetterie is offering a free shredding service at the moment… take the logs/branches and they turn it into mulch/compost for you to take away…
perhaps your dechetterie is doing a similar gesture for its locals…

1 Like

Yes, ours has recently started doing exactly the same thing. Haven’t tried it yet, but once I have enough stuff I will.

Oh I’ll try to find out if ours is. We bought a home shredder and its a bit crap!

I bought a bigger one which serves well with branches up to 78mm dia and a shoot for fine stuff but a decheterie one sounds like a great service so off to mine shortly to take a look.

Snap :frowning:

1 Like

I bought one like this which is the lower end of whats usable.

We “inherited” an electric one with the house and having had one previously that was crap, hadn’t thought about using it until last weekend. It was surprisingly good, Bosch AXT. Shredded up to 40 mm, anything bigger than that would eventually end up in the woodburner.

1 Like

Please can someone tell me if Cherry twigs and small branches will make good kindling (dry, of course)… ???

It is a good firewood apparently, give it a go

I had hoped it might make kindling but it’s very wet at the moment - hopefully the weather might pick up enough to dry it out.

They’re excellent as kindling. I cut down a friend’s cherry tree a couple of years ago and I’m still using the smaller branches and twigs as kindling. The bigger bits were turned into clocks, bowls, platters and mortar & pestle sets.

I always dry mine out before using them as kindling. I hate waste !

Anyone pruning vines, the cut-offs make excellent kindling. Just bundle them up and forget about them until next winter.

Thanks everyone… I’ll pass the message along… :+1: