First Eye Cataract Op - immediate aftermath?

I had my blood pressure taken in the hospital in Macon two weeks ago and both times it was so pai ful that I yelled.
Why should it be so different there?
We all know it is not a pleasant procedure but why the difference?

Surely, he can listen to the radio for the short time that it takes for him to recover.
Does he want his eyesight to recover or not.
Many people have to put up with much more annoying and life changing conditions after surgery than having a cataract removed.

When I had my second cataract op (2019) I was given a transparent plastic eye shield, and was happily reading with the operated eye as soon as I was in the recovery room. I was working at my computer back at home 2 his later.

1 Like

A mammogram is seriously not pleasant, but a blood pressure cuff?

1 Like

It was to me never having one before that was automatic I have only had the doctor one where it was much looser and many years ago

This thread is an excellent example of why it’s not a good idea to discuss health related issues on a public forum
All people are different and should be treated as such and hospitals etc will differ in their procedures

1 Like

It can be very uncomfortable having your blood pressure taken especially with the automated machines

2 Likes

Having had mammograms for many years, this was far more painful.

Wow! Painful BP monitoring is not something that has ever crossed my head - live and learn!!

1 Like

Someone doing a manual BP can stop pumping at a reasonably low level, A machine will tend to go higher so it will ‘catch’ the systolic

Long time since I had it taken manually. But many hundreds by machine. I will put this thread firmly out of my mind so as not to buildup a prehension!

Think the thread has run it’s course now, the OP’s husband will have had his op today possibly already, be comfortable and ready to go home later and hopefully no problems

1 Like

It was just at Macon hospital. No one likes having their blood pressure taken, but this was the worst I have ever experienced.
I have to go back again on the 4th April for my second injection for my asthma.
The first one improved my status for two weeks, but it is tailing off now. That was only the first injection so the prognosis looks good.
Thanks for helping me get this treatment, I have warned the family that I might be a new Mum by the time they come in the summer.

Pleased to say he’s home and thank you to those of you who posted useful and helpful advice and experiences. I find it valuable to go into these scenarios forewarned and forearmed. In case in future anyone comes across this thread and is facing the same situation, you may find the following of value:

As others have mentioned, the French system is excellent for preventative care and so even for something as minor as a cataract op OH was required to shower completely with Betadine scrub last night and this morning - and this was checked several times at the hospital.
Also, he had to get out of all his clothes and wear full disposable surgical clothing.
He is someone who is VERY sensitive to eye treatment - including just lights in the eyes - and he cannot put drops in his own eyes, so what may be “nothing” for some people has been a great deal for him.
He has a transparent eye patch over his eye held in place by dressing strip, to be worn 24 hours and then at night for the next 5 nights. His eyesight in that eye is blurry at the moment but being able to see through the patch is useful as it gives him 3D vision. The whole area - eye / eye socket is very itchy/irritated. We have an emergency number if his eye goes bloodshot or he is in pain over the next day or so.
From tomorrow I will be putting 7 drops a day into his eye. 1x4 for 2 weeks and 1x3 for a month.
His next appointment is a week today.
He can walk the dog, but must not bend over eg to put the lead on and off, so I will need to go with him.
In sunlight he needs to wear sunglasses and in fact may do all the time as he’s finding the difference in light intensity between his two eyes disconcerting.
He cannot drive - decision re when he can in a week’s time at next appointment.
He cannot do DIY / gardening / housework (no dust/no bending over/no heavy weights). Timing not great as we are getting the gite and garden ready.
Any reading - must be at eye level - thank heavens for computer screens on a desk and kindles.
He will have another check up in a month’s time at which point he will get a new prescription for his glasses.
He is maybe somewhat unusual as his second eye at the moment is fine (ish) and it may be some time before he needs another op - for this, he is grateful. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I am glad your husband’s op went well and he is now on the path to full vision.

When being nursey for the drops, it may help if he is lying down and looking up. Standing and craning the head back is more stressful.

Follow with a mug of hot tea, (not in the eye!)

1 Like

I’ve decided to keep the gite closed in April and only open in May - can’t do it all on my own and look after him. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Especially as he’s six foot and I’m five foot four! :grin:

1 Like

Good for you! More to life than ironing sheets!

2 Likes

Glad to hear all went well. Betadine shower, yes I forgot all about that as I did not like that at all especially my hair afterwards. You just reminded me about that!

1 Like

Hi Sue, I had both my eyes done at the same time . arrived at the hospital at 6pm. In the hour leading up to the operation I had several sets of eye drops put in and then had both eyes done under a local anaesthetic. The whole process took about half an hour and that included ten minutes "between eyes " to change dressings and implements. During the operation I was asked to look at the light at all times which I dutifully did but I felt absolutely no pain or pressure throught the whole process. I walked into and out of the operating theatre although I was very blurred on exit due to the drops they had put in pre op. 30 minutes later my wife collected me , we picked up a chinese meal on the way home and were indoors by 8.30pm. I didn’t have to wear any dressings post op although for 48 hours I could not drive. I would say my new 20/20 vision took about 3 days to arrive and I am absolutley thrilled with the result. I had to put two different types of drops in my eyes fro 21 days after the operation. Hope this helps you and others

1 Like