Flagging Important topics with a flag marker

I certainly take your point Dan - reliability of important information is key. However, please do remember that it is the topic which will be “red flagged” in this proposal, not individual posts in topic so it behoves SF’ers to fact check on sight and if the reference is faulty in some way, to draw attention to it, perhaps by DM with the author or DM with @cat or @james who have the means to remove the post if they deem it appropriate to do so. That may be better than extended dialogue in the thread, detracting from the original intent to keep out the “noise”. Thanks for your support.

1 Like

I thought Graham was putting himself front and centre on this project but l am more than willing to help with the research and sourcing of statistics/claims/reportage providing it is all accessible on- line. What we could do with is red flag protocols that enable intelligent and reasoned challenges to statements that are purporting to be fact. It would allow the reader to make a valued judgement based on as much information from official and fact checked sources.

4 Likes

Ok that’s great - let me have a think and talk to @james x

2 Likes

Actually, I had thought the instigator of the topic would keep an ever watchful eye on it having gone to the trouble of seeking approval to move the topic forward under the “red flag” protocol. That said, someone needs to take ownership of the facts checking - perhaps other than the instigator - since sometimes, people can become blind to other than the actual facts behind the topic and may not always be the best person to audit it.
Once again, a very worthy contribution, thanks.

1 Like

Do you think freedom of speech has been curtailed up to now Dan ?

"I agree with whoever said “ If it ain’t broke don’t fix it”.

It will hit me hard because I take very few things seriously nowadays or, I do believe there is a place for humour in just about any topic.
But,I will go with the flow and respect the rules.

Freedom of speech on SF is one of the reasons that l enjoy the discourse so much. I don’t think it’s been curtailed up to now but l do sense a change in the current global climate and some relevant and important issues are being taken far more seriously - and l think that is reflected on the forum. However, like you Peter, l think humour has it’s place in most subjects, least of all to lighten the mood in what can be very dour debate. Like you will go with the flow.

2 Likes

If the debate is dour and not to your liking then surely the kindly thing is merely to move on and find another topic in a lighter vein elsewhere that better suits your constantly jovial nature.
As I’ve said elsewhere, humour is a very personal thing and on occasions a “humorous quip” falls flat as a pancake and would have been better left unwritten, because it then has to be navigated around as one looks for sense. Even more exasperating is the side conversation that ensues as one “bright spark” tries to “outwit” the original humourist.
There is plenty on here to entertain / amuse. Please leave the dour amongst us to wallow in our contented misery, we do not need our mood lightened.

1 Like

how do remove…or hide a post…?

I have given this red flag suggestion some thought since I suggested nothing needed fixing and still think that is the case.
Other than a world pandemic of any kind is there anything that affects enough people to have a topic red flagged so that only factual information is displayed? That is of course if it can be proven as fact which is virtually impossible to do in most cases.
The title of any topic usually provides the clue to whether or not it might be of interest for information, a good read or just plain boring.
I have chaired many committees in my time and listened to numerous points of view and then summarises them to reach a general consensus as to how to proceed.
I see SF as being no different other than I now summarise to what fits for me and mine rather than the masses.
SF and its dinner party ethos works just fine and no one wants to listen to a boring old fart who keeps churning out factual stuff as there are plenty of forums and sites that are dedicated to that.
I have been a Member of SF almost since its conception and the information provided by its contributors over the years
Has been a great help as well as entertaining. The enjoyment for me is to pick out what is relevant to me or what I can give to others.
I dont need a red flag for that.

2 Likes

I first edited the post using the pencil icon and replaced the text with the words “post removed”. I then deleted the post using the dustbin icon.

Superb reply John, I agree 100%

2 Likes

I started this thread following a conversation with another (newer) member who had concerns that I agreed needed to be addressed. I agreed to take up the cudgels on his behalf based on the experience I had getting the French Vaccine - new thread approved by @cat.
That’s all there is to it.
No-one is forcing anyone to read “red flagged” threads - all that is being asked is that these very few approved ones are left devoid of “noise”. Simples!
The “red Flag” is simply a mechanism for identifying these specially approved topics and as Teresa May once famously said “nothing has changed”
At the risk of offending… this image comes to mind…

In a former life I had responsibility for managing change in a large slow moving stuck in the mud national organisation so I am well versed in these affairs and like @JohnBoy chaired many change meetings but unlike John, I was in a position to take ownership of the process and move things forward on my own account.
Same meat, different gravy perhaps, but sometimes, one has to take the bull by the horns, give it a fucking good shake down and take the crowd with you.

3 Likes

Reading through all these there does seem to be a general consensus that a few threads should be designated as serious by red flag…so contain no silly chit chat or significant off piste posts.

At the moment it can be difficult to keep track of comments that give helpful advice, observation, and can sometime assuage a worry.

We should thank Graham for driving this option and that he channelled his irritation (and mine) into a constructive solution.
Makes the site a genuine community contributed one!
So let’s give it a try.

7 Likes

Couldn’t agree more.
Is this all because one new member doesn’t like the format?

1 Like

Yes - that’s my view too.

or is it because some of the old stagers don’t :roll_eyes:

Graham, don’t presume.
I have shaped my destiny from the age of 22 when becoming my own boss. Giving back to the communities in which I lived through my involvement in various organisations was an extra and very enjoyable.
Lowering the tone with foul language is not the way to go.

1 Like

which only aids my cause since “red flag” topics would be limited to specifics without the faff or unnecessary noise :wink:
Thanks for your support (or do I presume too much?) :wink:

Why is this idea causing so much controversy? Seems perfectly sensible to have some topics that are purely factual without the usual chit chat and thread drift. Anyone wanting to “talk around” the topic raised can just start another thread about it if they wish and have as much chit chat as they want.
Izzy x

8 Likes

It confuses the hell out of me too Izzy but perhaps it’s just that people fear change.
There’s even a word for it - Metathesiophobia

1 Like