Fleetwood Mac's Christine McVie dies aged 79

1 Like

Crickey. Our inspirations are leaving this life one by one :disappointed_relieved:

3 Likes

So sad.

As you said Susannah, that’s another one gone

One could even say Another One Bites The Dust.

Mr Bulsara definitely left us before his time was due.

3 Likes

I have been a fan and followed Christine Perfect/McVie’s career since seeing her as part of Chicken Shack when they supported Fleetwood Mac way back when, sometime during the drug fuelled sixties.

2 Likes

Celebs are dropping like flies currently and not always the oldies either.

Glad you can actually remember !

I thought that if you could remember the 60’s, you weren’t there.

Technically I grew up in the 60’s but as a late boomer I was still in short trousers by 1970 - so late 70’s early 80’s is more my time.

1 Like

Me too. Stan Webb et al.

And what I call the real Fleetwood Mac - Peter Green, John McVie, Danny Kirwan, Jeremy Spencer, Mick Fleetwood. The band with three lead guitarists, tho’ Spencer restricted himself to ‘Dust My Broom’ and similar slide blues.

That’s a quip by people who weren’t there but wish they had been.

My observation is that photographers tend to be quite pragmatic people. I myself steered clear of the acid/mescalin/psilocybin binges. For a start, any kind of ‘substance’ led to totally crap pictures. A number of my friends emerged into the late '70’s quite damaged.

But the music scene was unrepeatable. Bands that went on to become stadium acts - J.Tull, P.Floyd, F.Mac, Taste/R. Gallagher, The Nice/E.L.P. - played the back rooms in pubs and college refectories. I remember Tull & Fairport at the L.S.E. canteen for 10/- in '68.

And so on :yawning_face:

2 Likes

I thought McVie’s version of Etta James’ I Would Rather go Blind, was one of those rare examples of a cover version being far better than the original.

It always was cheaper up North - Pink Floyd for 6/- at Manchester ‘Owens’ USU c.1969.

The best Tull line-up has Mick Abrahams on lead guitar - his version of Cat’s Squirrel beats the Cream one hands down!

1 Like

'fraid not, Doc.

In those amazing days London councils vied with each other to put on free concerts. Local to me was Parliament Hill Fields, with a band-stand. Camden Council put on free concerts of all the leading bands of the day.

I remember sitting on the grass watching P. Floyd [R.Waters, “The real lightshow is behind you” - a nice sunset] F.Mac [The P.Green version] Taste [R.Gallagher] Fairport, Chicken Shack with Christine Perfect, The Nice - all the leading bands based in London played P.H.Fields for free

Then there were the weekly free concerts in Hyde Park, opp the Dorchester. P.Brown and His Battered Ornaments, Edgar Broughton Band [the UK Beefheart cover band] - the ‘2nd Div’ of bands.

The Roundhouse had free 12 hour gigs on Sundays, 12:00 - 00:00. I remember getting the very first edition of Time Out. It was an A4 piece of paper, folded to A5, handed out …

And of course the two Hyde Park monsters - Blind Faith and The Stones.

There were many more, all over London. All these were free to attend, just a short bus ride or a few stops on the Tube.

1 Like

Certainly can’t beat that, but Manchester had some larger than average venues, that were great for US West Coast touring bands - caught Frank Zappa at the Opera House (surreally appropriate venue ) and at the Free Trade Hall (home of the Halle Orchestra) also The Byrds and Lou Reed there (latter also played a M/c Poly Freshers’ Ball. Arthur Lee & Love at what I think had become UMIST (M/c’s former science university).

Forty years, later the Poly SU building had become M/c Met U’s Art & Design Research Centre with a conference suite where the stage had been, and I was able to inform a meeting that I’d seen Lou Reed play on very the spot where we were assembled…

I am sure that Christine McVie was a good singer but once Peter Green left the band there was no longer a Fleetwood Mac.
So hard to compare a guitarist with another but Peter was the greatest…following in his footsteps was Jeff Beck and Jimi Page. Such great musicians were around in the 60s and 70s.