Food allergies - do you have one?

My GP has told me to stop eating all wheat and dairy products for a month due to what he believes may be a severe allergy.

If it turns out I am allergic to wheat, can I eat bread made from spelt flour? I ask this because it's only been two days and I am craving bread!

Do you have a food allergy and if so what do you do to workaround the foods that you can't have?

Hi Andy, my son has psoriatic arthritis and Crohns (result of the PA) and has very similar problems to you. He is on a gluten free diet and cuts out virtually all starches. He makes his own keffir which helps enormously. Heā€™s also on LDN, now prescribed in France and offers him cinsiderable relief along with vitamin D (high doses) vitamin C and super strength Red Krill oil. He hasnā€™t had a bad flair up for some time now

You can buy GF bread by Genius in most supermarkets. Spelt is wheat, just low in gluten.
We buy Doveā€™s Farm GF flours direct online and make wheat-free, dairy-free bread in our machine every day.
Itā€™s not that easy where we are but celiac friends of ours say itā€™s easier in bigger cities.

Catherine, both my daughter and myself were diagnosed with intolerance to yeast, sugar and dairy products. It took me until I was forty and my daughter ten.
You can eat oat cakes, rye bread to substitute for wheat, but feeling better will soon make you realise that the craving, which is part of the i dication that you have a problem, should soon be overcome.
Dairy products are easily avoided, sheep cheese is much more like human milk than goats, so try that.

James, there is an ever growing selection of gluten free products in France and good gluten free bread is now available in most French supermarkets (you soon get used to it and itā€™s good toasted). If you have a bread maker you can by the gluten free bread flour online. I made my first gluten free Christmas cake this year and it was delicious.

I have an allergy to quorn, it makes me violently ill. I found this out when I was vegetarian and tried it, Iā€™m now vegan and quorn isnt suitable for the vegan diet, however, I still have to be careful not to eat it in error as it is often incorporated in meals stated as vegan! For anyone who has a dairy allergy there are many different dairy free ā€˜cheeseā€™ alternatives available, my favourite is violife and I would strongly recommend trying it. My husband isnā€™t vegan but prefers to eat violife to dairy cheese. There are many other vegan ā€˜cheesesā€™ but some in my opinion are pretty disgusting, it really is a matter of taste and personal preference! I stock up in the UK on my trips back ( Holland and Barrett and tesco sell violife) but it can be ordered online in France.

Even a blood test is not necessarily conclusive, alone the way it is done. Taking blood out of its natural environment and adding stuff to it in a petri-dish. This is not how it happens in your body, there are numerous other factors that play into it in your body. Also it is known that it has a psychological effect, seeing results on a piece of paper, your mind plays on it... it is a good indicator, but not meant to apply it 1:1. I am also not sure whether it does not mean gluten when they say wheat. :-)

Hi

Re-reading James's post, he wasn't very clear. The doctor believes his wheat (not gluten) allergy is (hopefully) the cause of other problems. He has had a blood test which shows a marked allergy to wheat and / or dairy as well as a couple of other allergens.

Hi James

I was diagnosed as having Coeliac Disease 30 years ago and have been on a gluten free diet since then.the quality and supply of GF foods has improved enormously over this period.Plus I have had the condition agreed by the RSI and now get a monthly prescription from the pharmacy for bread, pasta etc - usually Schar.Plus my Mutuelle contribute. It helps as GF foods can be expensive compared to non-GF.

Good luck with the diagnosis

I also just got a ChufaMix veggie drink maker, to make my own. Shop bought contains too often sunflower oil, which is adding omega 6 in an already saturated omega 6 dietā€¦

It seems a little bit odd that your GP would suggest such a ā€œtreatmentā€ for a suspected ā€œsevereā€ allergy. Nearly everybody feels better after quitting the gluten in their diets. The same goes for dairy. But this is not necessarily due to allergy. Todayā€™s commercial wheat is only a fraction similar to what it has been 100 years ago. It has been changed to contain more gluten in order to make it more malleable in commercial breadmaking machines,not to lose too much dough by it sticking to the machinery. (!) In a test with coeliac patients, giving them pure gluten- reaction was minimal, in combo with wheat reactions were severe. So I think we are still at the beginning of research. Do not go for the replacement products. As somebody said before, in order to get it to taste, to last etc there are multiple additional ingredients that could also be problematic. Any bio shop has good alternatives in the flour section, with which you can make good bread. But if you really want to stay away from it, do watch what you are eating, as it is used in so many products from stock cubes, to ready made meals, to sausage. Now dairy is a whole different subject. Most milk readily available in shops is from cows that never see a meadow. Their milk is not very nutritional compared to grass- fed cows. Also the way it is treated, homogenising, breaking down fat molecules to tiny fractions has been shown to cause problems with our digestion. Also, laden with growthhormones, antibiotics etcā€¦better to look for alternatives, oat milk ( careful with gluten!), almond milk etc. And after all milk is not quite as healthy as marketing makes us believe. To finish my long post, unfortunately you will have to find your own solution, meaning the one that fits you. As your bio make up is unique.A good nutritionist ( are doctors in France hence you get reimbursed) can help you find a good balance, so can naturopaths. :slight_smile:

This is coming out if you start all this diets to loose weight... (joking). James don't panic that you have a allergy problem. Just don't worry. You know that bakers often get kind of allergy and you are living very much in the countryside were now wheat pollen is everywhere. Its the time of the year. Reactions to wheat is not always an allergy. Sometimes wheat allergy must be accrued from intolerance reactions , which underlie other mechanisms. They are then very bad. I would certainly first ask at least one more expert. Often it is a hypersensitivity reaction to gluten, my wife has it, probably too much wheatbix ....

T

Or almond milk!

I have been managing my partnerā€™s wheat and dairy free diet for more than 10 years and my best advice is ā€œlearn to cook.ā€ I donā€™t mean to sound patronising but cooking from scratch is the only way to guarantee a safe diet. Ingredients are easily available. The only really difficult thing since we moved to the Limousin is gluten free flour but we buy that direct from Doves Farms. We make all our own bread in a machine as paying for commercial gf bread is way OTT! Plenty of dairy-free spreads out there plus lots of brebis and chevre products to choose from. Hope youā€™re not allergic to soja!

Thank you so much.

Yes please Louise! xx

Hi there - this is nearly exactly what happened to me. I've been on a gluten and diary free diet since 1st December last year. The craving is entirely normal and will eventually go away (I promise:) Most of the large supermarkets do wheat free + gluten free bread In their section 'dietetique', as well as a variety of dairy free milks. Although I do find the list of diary free products rather limited. Good news is that this diet has worked for me. Bad news is that it's nearly impossible to eat out safely (and trust restaurants) Yesterday I got 'had' by broccoli which had been smothered in butter, even after clearly stating and asking 3 times about dairy content. I have some lists of easy meal plans and if you want can send them to you?

And here's something else I found while traversing the web, a book called Anatomy of an Illness As perceived by the Patient, telling the story of his experiences in using vitamin C to treat AS. A fascinating topic indeed.

Here's something I thought I remembered reading about this disease (and took me a while to find again), in relation to vitamin C:

-Many patients will develop allergic disorders or other diseases following combinations of stress, disease, and malnutrition. Immunologists should be particularly interested in the control of these allergic problems and particularly the dramatic responses of cases of ankylosing spondylitis, Reiterā€™s disease, and acute anterior uveitis. All three of these problems have a high association with theHLA-B27 antigen.

It comes from this web page, but the same text from Robert Cathcart MD appears to be reproduced in many places. Worth trying?

Interesting website. But really busy so it seems offputting at first. Iā€™ll have good look later.