Food shortages - are you affected?

Sounds amazing! :+1:

1 Like

Perhaps it’s wiser these days to stick to just one supermarket rather than flit from one to another.

3 Likes

Good idea, we have a gardening category already so please start a new thread and put it in there. I’ll do my best to keep it on topic!

5 Likes

I am still getting to grips with the french supermarkets, open air markets and their offerings. Not flitting, just doing my once a week shopping and getting bread every other day.

My HP sauce delivery didn’t arrive, got a refund but not looking forward to going ‘cold turkey’.

I think that is a brilliant idea! Please start one and we will keep it well policed!
X

1 Like

Yes Jane, we were belatedly informed of that today, having sent photos to a green fingered aunt. The lettuce seems to be a write off but the chillies, carrots and a few other things still in with fighting chance.

Maybe a gardener’s question time thread would be an idea. Obviously I’m not qualified to start it :seedling::sunflower:

2 Likes

What madness would that be? How can you turn this event into the old “much better in France” discussion.

You’re overreacting Ronald. A little calm is in order please. :slight_smile:

I am comparing comments of family and friends living in the USA and UK to our life in rural France. Just as I compared them to life in Scotland. Madness is the situation we are ALL finding ourselves in. And - yes so far life in France is better. Today wàs a day we would have called a perfect 'summer’s day’s in Scotland. How can I not compare?

1 Like

Surely we all know these things are ‘much better in France’ (except perhaps draught beer and hard cheeses) but in gardening terms isn’t it also, 'much earlier in France?

What are people planting right now in various parts of the country and have you been ordering seeds online?

You know what they say about comparisons.

So tell me how you come to a decision? Without comparison of facts and emotions…?

It looked that way - until the last frosty night’s. Brought the lemon tree inside posted haste… and worried about other plants I had bought a little enthusiastically.
But followed grandpa’s advice - don’t plant until you can stand on your soil in bare feet and not feel the cold.
Will plant potatoes next week, seedlings of tomatoes, peppers, courgettes are coming up nicely. Herbs like borage, parsley, dill etc are in pots outside, covered at night and are showing…
Beans and mange tout will go into the veggie plot by the end of April.
Will probably have to water everything like mad.

2 Likes

Easier said than done - my local SuperU was a little low on stock the last time I went.

Just don’t compare because your parameters for comparison will fluctuate so wildly that any comparisons will have little validity. In the UK we seem to be suffering the same shortages as you - pasta and bread flour - there hasn’t been much “madness” where I am, some early panic-buying and stocking up, but then people were told to stay at home so you do get in extra.

Why are there two Ronald Foxes?

Because one isn’t enough, boom boom. :grinning:

5 Likes

That is not the picture I am getting from relatives in Clackton. They are elderly and disabled, cannot leave the house to go shopping, cannot get a delivery slot from any of the supermarkets, a neighbour is trying to help. All they had was a box of food they cannot eat from the government and 're assuring letters from supermarkets. Scotland seems to have run out of loo roll and as soon as some comes in it gets snapped up.
Chicago relatives also report panic buying which does not seem to abate… same thing with loo paper.
So does my mom in Germany, she can get fresh food etc. But even there the run on pasta , loo paper and flour has not stopped.
This virus has not just invaded our lungs, it has gotten into our psyche as well.
I call this madness - it’s worldwide, some Politicians are better at handling the pandemic and it’s problems and yes I do compare this to the relative calm in our rural part of France.

No Basil shortage here. All home grown.

1 Like