Football: World Cup Final France v Croatia - French Victorious

I watched the game with our French neighbours and with France 2 goals up with 2 minutes to go I popped home to pick up a bottle of bubbly which was very appreciated when presented as the final whistle blew.

5 Likes

My favorite moment was when the most respectable woman in the village (a newly retired factory owner who’s always very neatly dressed and punctilious about everything) drove up the street blaring her horn and waving furiously…

Managed to avoid the whole thing, even adjusted my evening walk so as not to come into contact with gloating Froggies!:grinning:

such a shame Timothy …:neutral_face: … think of all the hugs and kisses you have missed…:wink::wink::wink::grinning::grinning::grinning:

Having played badminton and football here for years I’ve had enough hugs and kisses to last me a lifetime!

:joy::rofl::grin::grinning::grin::grin::grin:

Sadly, last night’s celebrations were not incident-free… :pensive:

I saw several accidents waiting to happen yesterday including people sitting on top of moving cars and possibly eight people riding in a small trailer being towed at speed. The most bizarre was where an Englishwoman by a roadside bar was encouraging two children standing in the middle of a busy road to jump up and down while holding a St George’s flag.

I’ve had three conversations with French neighbours since the result. Two thought Croatia was the better team but had bad luck. Three thought the handball penalty decision against Croatia’s Perisic was probably unfair. One said the results of the whole tournament were fixed before the first match kicked off. He rubbed his thumb and fingers together to signify, I think, corruption.

I don’t know whether this downbeat appraisal is a Basse Normande phenomenon, an age thing (our cumulative age is about 300), or whether it’s the furnace-like heat we’ve endured for nearly a month. It might be down to me, perhaps my cynicism is highly infectious.

I’ve named Mbappe the fine brown cock that we hatched in May from a donated egg however, in tribute to les bleus and their victory.

That decision was well received. Otherwise I couldn’t possible comment… :zipper_mouth_face:

Mmm… Peter… it is quite possible that your neighbours are not really football fans… their enthusiasm sounds only luke-warm to me… :thinking:
In my neck of the woods… enthusiasm, patriotism and general frantic excitement is alive and well… :grin:

I’m not a redhot fan… but I was shouting and waving with the rest of the gang… :rofl::rofl:

Granted, at one point I was yelling at France to get their act together… (they obviously heard me)… the proof of the pudding is who gets the most goals… and it was great to see the match won without the need for a “shoot-out” … :grin::grin::grin:

1 Like

How strange, I was watching on you-tube… as I cannot get some BBC stuff… I’ll sort it… :thinking:

GOT IT !!!

click on the “watch on YouTube” and it takes you straight through… phew… :grin:

1 Like

I’ve never seen that before and it seems a bit pointless as they provide a direct link to the content.

Yes, indeed… I look through the BBC News on-line and various stuff comes up as “not available in your location” … so I then look at YouTube… and more often than not… there it is ! :zipper_mouth_face:

Oups !