Foregoing diagnostic prior to purchase

A driver who is hurled through the windscreen will go on to occupy a hospital bed for probably quite some time, unless he goes straight into a coffin.
As you say, not many drivers do hurtle through the windscreen these days because most of them wear seatbelts.

1 Like

So do all the other people who survive accidents while pursuing dangerous activities, thatā€™s what they are there for, or do you think that either all dangerous activities should be banned, or their adherents banned from hospital?

Returning to the original question, just for info. the purchaser lives in the house and is fully aware of all defects, including non-conformity of fosse and roof in need of complete renovation.

apart from the Ā« latent Ā» ones - which is the very point being made.

1 Like

They also have the previous diagnostique for lead, asbestos, termite, electricity.

My question was really to know whether, if a purchaser states that they do not require a new one and they accept to buy the property ā€˜dans lā€™etatā€™, it would be possible. I guess itā€™s really down to the notaire. It doesnā€™t matter to me whether they do or not; just asking on behalf of the seller. :slight_smile:

Ahā€¦ so there was a diagnostic done at some point.

As far as I am awareā€¦ these diagnostic reports are only valid for a certain periodā€¦ as, of course, the situations can change/vary over timeā€¦

The Notaire will make the decision whether or not a new diagnostic is necessary and, thatā€™s that.

2 Likes

Certainly thatā€™s true of the termite report. I think itā€™s only about 6 months. (NB: I havenā€™t checked)

They are good for three-to-four years. But you can also ask for a renewal and you can obtain on return a confirmation that the primary-evaluation is still acceptable from the company that did the initial work.

Much less expensive than redoing the re-evaluation, unless the house has undergone major renovations. And particularly of its structure (like a new roof).

If you are buying a house ask for the original diagnostic and given its date it may need a renewal - depending upon whether any work was redone. Particularly electric or foundational or additional construction/reconstruction. And if not, and you must have (particularly electrical) work done, then you need a new diagnostic if selling the house.

Which is what I have been told, and I am no expert in the matter ā€¦

yepā€¦ as Iā€™ve saidā€¦ the Notaire will have the final say on what is or is not acceptableā€¦

If they donā€™t, Iā€™d get another notaire. When you sign a sales-contract you assume the full responsibility of what is written. I, for one, would refuse to sign if I have not been able to access the diagnostic-documents. And if you donā€™t read French, ask someone to do so. Itā€™s worth the cost to know what the diagnostics say, if anything.

And should you want to know further more about these presale documents, here is an official presentation delivered by the Notaire Website: Diagnostics immobiliers obligatoires pour la vente. Which translates into this: Real-estate diagnostics necessary for the sale (of property).

Ahā€¦ thatā€™s a bit differentā€¦ of course the Buyer needs to access dignostic documents.

What I said was that the Notaire will know what is acceptable and what isnā€™tā€¦ ie if diagnostic stuff is out of date or is within the accepted time-frameā€¦

How much do the mandatory inspections cost?
Are we talking hundreds or thousands?

He can know a lot of things, but you-the-buyer are only one out of hundreds of customers that they see in a year. And I know for a fact that notaires are not foolproof!

Diagnostics are easy to obtain because the seller should have them. They should have contracted to have them done. And if the seller does not want to provide them to you, then the sale is Very Suspicious.

Sorry to complicate something that should be simple - but, anyway, see the total number of diagnostics that should be conducted here prior to selling a house. They donā€™t all require a different person to conduct them! But electricity certainly does!

Itā€™s an attestation to the massive reduction in electrocutions and death from electrocution in France that close examination of electric installations has worked very well both in new installations and in older properties - some of which still have the old style cotton fabric bound wire and suspect (if at all effective) earth connections.

2 Likes

We are contemplating selling, and one immobilier will get them done at no cost to us if we select himā€¦ And his fee is not the most expensive either!

1 Like

Leggetts will pay your diagnostic fees (not fosse) if you sign up to an exclusive contract

Here is an idea of the cost Prix diagnostic immobilier : Ć©volutions pour 2021

Pure foolishness signing on only one real-estate agency ā€¦ !

Not necessarily any more. They can all use the same channels for promoting your property, and in the days of the internet there is much more accessibility to property details. If oneā€™s house is correctly priced and somewhere where there is a market then it should sell as well having one agent as it would with more. If it is something that would only appeal to a tiny fragment of the buyers, then perhaps not.

But otherwise far more important to have one agent who actually does something to promote the property than 5 who donā€™t.

2 Likes